• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once pulled into a farmyard to see a bloke wearing shorts and a tee shirt precariously balenced  up a ladder  injecting Cymag into a wasps' nest  with a little brass hand pump that took both hands to

Cymag and Phostoxin are cruel and wicked potions....I've used both on rabbits (and other miscellaneous exotics) back in the day.?.. Thank God , I repented of my sins,...and went 100% 'natural'...

Phostoxin is a cruel way to kill any animal.....? Cymag  was not a lot better.. Alongside the dreaded Strychnine, I have used both of those two noxious gases,.. and I regret doing so...

Posted Images

My dad worked for British rail, being a nationalised company at the time he was involved with the ministry quite a bit. I'll have a good look through some of his paperwork when I get chance. I know I threw alot away after it got wet when the roof leaked. 

This is his rabies jab and certificate in using cymag 

IMG_20210527_212120.jpg

Screenshot_20210527_211619.jpg

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I'd love to put the Cymag letter under " MAFF ", if I may?

Why, in gods name, did a rail worker get a rabies shot??? What's the story behind that?! :icon_eek:

British rail was linked to the ports. My mum still has free travel on trains and ferries 40 years later ?

No problem with using the letter, I'll get you clearer copies though. Leave it with me. I have some other bits I'm sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 27/05/2021 at 15:52, Ken's Deputy said:

Just having a bit of a sort out, in what was my pest control store room. Came across a couple of old flasks.

Stuck them up under " Miscellaneous ".

I'm always on the look out for pictures or scans of any ephemera relating to pest control, from about the 50's to 80's.

" Pest Control Papers "

Hey, a hope theres still no any 'extra strong mints ' lingering in them wee cannisters ? ??,.......got to be careful, wi that stuff !   A think thats the time, were the ONLY 'application method' they advised for moles, (paper attached to flask, etc) was to scrape away the hill, & find the 'pop' hole, clear it out , & place tablet down shaft, then sealing the hole, etc,.....?,....NOT for me, that way,....was NEVER much good for mole control either, as alot will know ? & cause of its   'mode of action' (is that the term ?) an inhumane form of lethal control !

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1

Know what, mate? I don't believe I ever have ~ nor fukking would! ~ even opened those damn things!

My first mentor sent me a tin of Cymag. Before he sent it, he wrote me the best bit of advice I'd ever had.

" It'll come in a red and white tin. Like a tin of paint. Lever the top off, like a paint tin. Underneath it's sealed with silver foil. Cut that out with the tip of your knife.

Under that you'll see the white powder. Like flour. Don't sniff it, to see what it smells like!!! " :icon_eek:

Probably saved my life, right there. Because, what's more natural ...?

• Like 1

Cymag and Phostoxin are cruel and wicked potions....I've used both on rabbits (and other miscellaneous exotics) back in the day.?..

Thank God , I repented of my sins,...and went 100% 'natural'...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Know what, mate? I don't believe I ever have ~ nor fukking would! ~ even opened those damn things!

My first mentor sent me a tin of Cymag. Before he sent it, he wrote me the best bit of advice I'd ever had.

" It'll come in a red and white tin. Like a tin of paint. Lever the top off, like a paint tin. Underneath it's sealed with silver foil. Cut that out with the tip of your knife.

Under that you'll see the white powder. Like flour. Don't sniff it, to see what it smells like!!! " :icon_eek:

Probably saved my life, right there. Because, what's more natural ...?

I wouldnt know,...but is there not an antidote to cymag poisoning ?,..cause i think i heard, theres NONE for aluminium phosphide ? ,....if them flasks of yours, still got tablets in them, then i dont doubt youd be careful ?,.....but bear in mind, THEM types of cannister ' back in the day' are ONLY sealed with that thin 'rubber layer' between bottle cap, and contents ! ?,....so i take it the rubber can start to perish, through time ? ( just something to think about, perhaps ?)  Maybe Phil, or any other lads, can elucidate more ,on any of these points ?

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Thanks 1

ET; Only 'Antidote' for Cymag was Amyl Nitrate. Not exactly an antidote. Just a last ditch chance, if you got a whiff. Idea being that it'd kick start your heart.

Get a good dose of Cymag though and, yes, you'd be Fukked! And, as Phil said; Brutally too.

Same with Ali' P. Only, as you say, there is No going back on That shit!

I actually remember reading a proper account of how ~ I think some poor kunt had suicided with AP.

Basically, they got him into the ER and something happened. Someone got a whiff of garlic. Put 2 and 2 together and just screamed for Everyone to get the fukk out!

I believe that incident is now used a a text book lesson in the dangers of that shit.

Then, there was that poor, Welsh lad. Driving around with a tin of Cymag in the back of his Land rover. Left the road and rolled. They found him covered in the stuff. Doctor basically said, like; 'Jesus Fukking Christ!!! :cry:'

Bulkheads in vans and This sort of shit's not just to make money:

carrying_case.png.06bd79061afd11520fef8c80a40dd7b3.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, earth-thrower said:

Really, mate ?,..just shows you

The farmer throw a tin down the hole years before we started checking them,luckily we found the empty tin arms length down the hole before we let the dogs check it out.That was when I was 13 and I’m 51 now and still nothing has ever been back in it and we have never let the dog near to check it out either.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

ET; Only 'Antidote' for Cymag was Amyl Nitrate. Not exactly an antidote. Just a last ditch chance, if you got a whiff. Idea being that it'd kick start your heart.

Get a good dose of Cymag though and, yes, you'd be Fukked! And, as Phil said; Brutally too.

Same with Ali' P. Only, as you say, there is No going back on That shit!

I actually remember reading a proper account of how ~ I think some poor kunt had suicided with AP.

Basically, they got him into the ER and something happened. Someone got a whiff of garlic. Put 2 and 2 together and just screamed for Everyone to get the fukk out!

I believe that incident is now used a a text book lesson in the dangers of that shit.

Then, there was that poor, Welsh lad. Driving around with a tin of Cymag in the back of his Land rover. Left the road and rolled. They found him covered in the stuff. Doctor basically said, like; 'Jesus Fukking Christ!!! :cry:'

Bulkheads in vans and This sort of shit's not just to make money:

carrying_case.png.06bd79061afd11520fef8c80a40dd7b3.png

Thanks, for that response. Very interesting.

• Thanks 1

The aging memory plays tricks ,but l'm convinced that years ago l heard that a couple chaps  involved with the original trials of phostoxin tablets almost came to grief. 

Even though they had been screwed shut a part-used tub  leaked enough fumes into the back of their vehicle to kill their dogs . The operators just managed to drive to hospital in time to save themselves .

After that the tablets were coated in wax to slow their reaction with damp air.

One story l know is true involves a tin of Cymag erupting on a pumping machine ,probably from a build up of pressure in a blind tunnel. The operator was saved by a brave assistant who dragged him clear and ripped the guys Cymag coated clothes off him .

• Like 2