Abcess

Got a old jill here thats 10 yr old and while I was feeding her I noticed something blue on her neck so thought it was a tick ,on closer inspection it looks like a spot but bluey in colour and yet to break threw skin ,as any one come across this ,not the best pic but best I could get  any advice greatly appreciated folks ,

Atb mooch 

20210525_171418.jpg

It looks like a tick in the photo. They are dark and bloated after initial feeding and then turn grey in colour and shrink back  a little as blood is digested. It will fall off but alway better to get them out if you have the right tweezers and technique to get the head out. If not it's unlikely to be an abscess. In my experience abcesses in ferrets get very big, very quickly, only a vet can deal with them. They need a slash to the skin to get the puss out, rinsing with saline then a week of antibiotics. All the ferrets I have had that lived a long time developed some sort of cancer so random lumps are not unusual in the old ones 

• Like 1
On 25/05/2021 at 22:07, Luckee legs said:

It looks like a tick in the photo. They are dark and bloated after initial feeding and then turn grey in colour and shrink back  a little as blood is digested. It will fall off but alway better to get them out if you have the right tweezers and technique to get the head out. If not it's unlikely to be an abscess. In my experience abcesses in ferrets get very big, very quickly, only a vet can deal with them. They need a slash to the skin to get the puss out, rinsing with saline then a week of antibiotics. All the ferrets I have had that lived a long time developed some sort of cancer so random lumps are not unusual in the old ones 

Thanks for replying bud ,she's got to be ten now maybe 11 and I've had to deal with ticks several times over the yrs and at first sight I thought it was a tick but its not and I've had ferrets who got abcess on neck before and they fill up and get big and like you say need draining and antibiotics to clear up and so far o have always been able to get them right with antibiotics and keep it clean  but this just looks like a bluey spot and so far not getting bigger ,she seems ok and running about as normal. I keep my eye on her and if I see a change I pop her vets , atb mooch 

• Like 1