Starting from scratch

53 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Can you tell me why? Here to learn so no snark intended. Fitness? Build? Cross? Would like to know more as don't want to put him through something if he can't take it. Guessing it's because he's heavy on the saluki?

All I run is coursing bred saluki types and yeah they catch the odd few rabbits but are far from rabbit dogs saluki are built for a job and the jobs hares and long runs not little 40/50 yard bursts.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not surprising some new members don't stay long! Ignore the piss taking Fernylass and just read some of the posts on here, it's like an initiation ceremony with new members. Enjoy your dog,

My advice would be 2 challenge mc hull 2 a match  If u won I'd be delighted ☺

How do you no it was romani folk that duped the dog ,I ask because every rescue lurcher owner i have talked to says the gypsies dumped it ,I'm a traveler and my people would never dump a dog ,they mig

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Sorry if I caused offence  - he was let go from a 'traveller's site' after he was injured is what the rescue told me so just repeating that. No judgement here at all of a whole ethnicity or way of life, just wanted to know if that background might help to understand his commands or the way he might have worked. Obvs know commands likely to be different for everyone, though if there are common commands that people tend to use when out they'd be useful to learn. 

No you didn't cause offence ,maybe you could start by finding inclosed space for him to be let off lead and see if you can get him to come back to you and see what commands he knows as any dog man worth is salt would have give him basic traing like recall etc 

As for coursing its banned so you don't want to be doing that, if you going rabbiting get him used to ferrets and if he's been a working dog he probably knows what to do and its you lacking knowledge so go out with your buddy once season starts and give him a days ferreting or lamping . 

Wish you the best 

36 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

That's my worry. Seen it in action with him already too. How do you square that risk with the love you've got for your dog? Deep question but it's that I'm struggling with a bit, it's why I haven't taken him out yet. Maybe I don't want it enough!!! 

My dogs are like family but I've got them for a purpose and that's to be worked they get the best of food the young bitch is in the house when I've had them outside they're in kennels with heat lamps etc. But working them had it's risks you just cross that bridge if anything goes wrong and give them all they need if they knock a toe up or crash into cover and come out lame 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Yeah, true, makes me want to work extra hard with him to mitigate the issues and if I can't, he can chase in safer circumstances! 2

If the dog is on something your voice will be put on deaf ears. My older dog chases sheep knows full well he shouldnt and comes back with his tail between his legs but cant help himself when its running he has to chase so I stay clear of sheep but of a pain where I live but I manage it alright. And it's a saluki x so there ignorant shites anyway 

• Like 1

If your worried about him hurting himself all the time whats point in even attempting to take him out working ? They lots of stuff out there like barbed wire that rips dogs ,bits of old machinery or tree stumps etc for your dog to run into ,my dogs are like family but they love to work and injurys just part of working dogs life ,of course we all do our best not to have a dog on sick bench but karnt wrap them up in cotton wool ,once behind something they run into gates of hell to get it .

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

Get a bull x lure and have fun keeping him fit and happy ,

There pricey as fook but there was a thread not that long ago and he put a link up on it he found them for under 300 instead of 700 

Just now, Saltmoon said:

There pricey as fook but there was a thread not that long ago and he put a link up on it he found them for under 300 instead of 700 

They go from around 3 upwards depending on what you want ,I rather make me own out of starter motor ,I got told you don't get many runs out of a bull x before needing recharge but for keeping dog fit on the park might be ok just costly  

46 minutes ago, Kalibrgun said:

All I run is coursing bred saluki types and yeah they catch the odd few rabbits but are far from rabbit dogs saluki are built for a job and the jobs hares and long runs not little 40/50 yard bursts.

Thought it might be that. Yeah he was crap at chasing the rabbits when he did once - all went into their burrows too quickly for him. He wanted to stretch out! 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

If your worried about him hurting himself all the time whats point in even attempting to take him out working ? They lots of stuff out there like barbed wire that rips dogs ,bits of old machinery or tree stumps etc for your dog to run into ,my dogs are like family but they love to work and injurys just part of working dogs life ,of course we all do our best not to have a dog on sick bench but karnt wrap them up in cotton wool ,once behind something they run into gates of hell to get it .

I guess I know he loves it so much that I'm willing to take some risks with him but not until I've done everything I can with him to try and mitigate the risks like working way way away from big A roads etc... 

36 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Oooh I can see the hostile replies piling up on this one!  ?

Haha I agree the lad can be but I love him for it. Too clever by half sometimes, thick as two short planks at others ? Stubborn all the time. 'Just give him time to obey' I keep saying to myself... He does, every time, just takes him 30 seconds... Try to badger him into something, the harder he resists. I like that challenge ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Haha I agree the lad can be but I love him for it. Too clever by half sometimes, thick as two short planks at others ? Stubborn all the time. 'Just give him time to obey' I keep saying to myself... He does, every time, just takes him 30 seconds... Try to badger him into something, the harder he resists. I like that challenge ?

Not really something I have a lot of experience with.  I've only had a limited amount of experience with saluki bred dogs lol.  I just don't seem to get on with them lol.