No clue what I'm doing : Bollie making

33 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

In my local area we have largemouth, smallmouth ,spotted bass and saltwater bass in our local rivers. they keep everything elses numbers low.I actually don't know alot about pickerel but I have accidentally caught them in our creek while fishing a crawdad crankbait for bass.But honestly only ever seen a handful caught but always a small creek and always small crawdad crankbait.As wolfdog said around here it's all about the Church of BASS.?

I did experience the bass whilst in florida, we had a good day on them, but never seen the fascination with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

I don't understand the preoccupation with boilies. Three grains of whole maize,  a chunk of luncheon meat or Frolicks dog biscuits does the job for me.

Its carpers theyre nuts, the 2 i know off in northern ireland anyway haha

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Same here in France. They need two picnic tables; one for their food and one stacked with €200 of boilies, pellets, glugs.......   

And I have never seen them catch anything. They fish 5 metres from their vehicles at one side of the lake and all the carp ade at the other side.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Put eggs and liquid flavours in bowl first next time mate.Mix it together then add your powdered ingredients gradually to the egg mix until you get a slightly sticky dough.Semolina and Soya flour would be a good base for your powdered mix.Plenty of boilie recipes on the internet?

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with boiled baits for fish that had never seen them or been fished for seriously.

If you are trying to avoid crayfish then one of those wooden balls you can buy from craft shops left soaking in fish oil or whatever flavour you like would work better. (Don’t soak in an Ethyl Alcohol based flavour unless it’s heavily, heavily diluted !) 

Then fish it as a pop up.

If no crayfish then I’d just use corn or spam personally, or even boiled peanuts......much easier 

Shorten up your hook trace to about 4-6 inches, the hair looks fine, decent separation between that and the hook.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WILF said:

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with boiled baits for fish that had never seen them or been fished for seriously.

If you are trying to avoid crayfish then one of those wooden balls you can buy from craft shops left soaking in fish oil or whatever flavour you like would work better. (Don’t soak in an Ethyl Alcohol based flavour unless it’s heavily, heavily diluted !) 

Then fish it as a pop up.

If no crayfish then I’d just use corn or spam personally, or even boiled peanuts......much easier 

Shorten up your hook trace to about 4-6 inches, the hair looks fine, decent separation between that and the hook.

Agree with the first bit. People don't know why boilies came about and don't look at alternatives. I only fish for wild carp. Many of them have never seen a bait. Maize is king. But it pays to add a few micro pellets into the spod mix to stimulate their appetite. Then I put luncheon meat or a Frolicks dog biscuit soaked in cod liver oil on the hair. Where nuisance species are about I use two or three artificial grains of maize.

I don' use short hook links or bolt rigs as I've seen  too many carp spooked by them. I use a stiff 18" leader, usually the mainline furled, to a 6" braid hook link, attached loop to loop. Above that is a sliding Catherine lead of 6 to 12 grams and a sliding float set a foot or so over depth. After casting I wind the float down and set the bite alarm which is the ratchet on the centrepin. If I miss the float going down the reel lets me know. 

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

Agree with the first bit. People don't know why boilies came about and don't look at alternatives. I only fish for wild carp. Many of them have never seen a bait. Maize is king. But it pays to add a few micro pellets into the spod mix to stimulate their appetite. Then I put luncheon meat or a Frolicks dog biscuit soaked in cod liver oil on the hair. Where nuisance species are about I use two or three artificial grains of maize.

I don' use short hook links or bolt rigs as I've seen  too many carp spooked by them. I use a stiff 18" leader, usually the mainline furled, to a 6" braid hook link, attached loop to loop. Above that is a sliding Catherine lead of 6 to 12 grams and a sliding float set a foot or so over depth. After casting I wind the float down and set the bite alarm which is the ratchet on the centrepin. If I miss the float going down the reel lets me know. 

The reason (as I’m sure you know) for the length of hook link is because of how carp feed mate, suck and tilt.....over about 6 inches and the fish will be pointing at the surface.

Its about the optimum length for all the mechanics of the hair rig to work to the best of their ability.

Thats why the fulcrum point (in my case it was always free running lead weight) is set there.

Never really used semi fixed lead set ups as you can’t really get an idea of what’s going on in your baited area with them. 

1 hour ago, WILF said:

The reason (as I’m sure you know) for the length of hook link is because of how carp feed mate, suck and tilt.....over about 6 inches and the fish will be pointing at the surface.

Its about the optimum length for all the mechanics of the hair rig to work to the best of their ability.

Thats why the fulcrum point (in my case it was always free running lead weight) is set there.

Never really used semi fixed lead set  ups as you can’t really get an idea of what’s going on in your baited area with them. 

I fish close in. Rarely cast more than 15 metres and in many cases the bank is a metre or so above the water level. That often creates a steep line angle, hence my two foot leader. Less chance of spooking the fish against the running line. Quite a lot of the time I can see the hook bait and the carp. Years ago when I tried short hook lengths and bolt rigs I saw many carp pick up the bait then flee the swim without any indication of a bite. Sometimes they took other fish with them. The way I fish the carp feel little or no resistance initially and by the time they have sunk the float the bait is well inside their mouth. Almost all the fish are hooked in the corner of the lower lip.

The trick is to get them feeding quickly. I only fish for a few hours at a time so locating the carp first is important. Then getting them to feed using small smelly pellets and crushed maize spread over a large aea. The hook bait in most cases is better than the freeebies unless crays or poisson chat are around when I use artificials. I add a small pva bag of pellets to the hook before casting to focus the fish on my hookbait.

In another month tactics will change to fishing snails or whelks in the margin weeds when carp can be seen pushing through them.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I fish close in. Rarely cast more than 15 metres and in many cases the bank is a metre or so above the water level. That often creates a steep line angle, hence my two foot leader. Less chance of spooking the fish against the running line. Quite a lot of the time I can see the hook bait and the carp. Years ago when I tried short hook lengths and bolt rigs I saw many carp pick up the bait then flee the swim without any indication of a bite. Sometimes they took other fish with them. The way I fish the carp feel little or no resistance initially and by the time they have sunk the float the bait is well inside their mouth. Almost all the fish are hooked in the corner of the lower lip.

The trick is to get them feeding quickly. I only fish for a few hours at a time so locating the carp first is important. Then getting them to feed using small smelly pellets and crushed maize spread over a large aea. The hook bait in most cases is better than the freeebies unless crays or poisson chat are around when I use artificials. I add a small pva bag of pellets to the hook before casting to focus the fish on my hookbait.

In another month tactics will change to fishing snails or whelks in the margin weeds when carp can be seen pushing through them.

Sounds a great way to fish mate, my personal favourite was surface fishing and it’s a method I’d turn to regularly without hesitation.

Strange how many carp anglers seem to be scared of surface fishing.

52 minutes ago, WILF said:

Sounds a great way to fish mate, my personal favourite was surface fishing and it’s a method I’d turn to regularly without hesitation.

Strange how many carp anglers seem to be scared of surface fishing.

I will be trying that in summer. I found that they weren't interested in the local bread so have baked some maize bread that I have got in the freezer ready for use. I think the French bakers use baking powder, not yeast and the fish don't like it. Nor do I. 

If you watch the surface weeds near to the bank you sometimes see large carp pushing their way through looking for snails. I freeline a garden snail or a whelk. They are hooked three or four metres from the rod tip.

48 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I will be trying that in summer. I found that they weren't interested in the local bread so have baked some maize bread that I have got in the freezer ready for use. I think the French bakers use baking powder, not yeast and the fish don't like it. Nor do I. 

If you watch the surface weeds near to the bank you sometimes see large carp pushing their way through looking for snails. I freeline a garden snail or a whelk. They are hooked three or four metres from the rod tip.

Don’t mess with all that mate, floating dog biscuits and a bit of cork cut to resemble them, hair rigged but whipped tight-ish to the shank.

Straight point hook.....Kamasan B175 are perfect 

Edited by WILF
On 26/05/2021 at 22:09, Lenmcharristar said:

They have a decent little carp society going up there.

The lad I spoke to was ex RAF and a really good lad, one of the main lads behind getting the whole thing going.