Why do land owners get funky about running dogs?

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Why do folk always presume that cos there’s a few rabbits on a field they need controlled, I know lots farms an gardens an diff places that really enjoy  sitting with a brew watching the bunny’s play, I know another place a big ole fishery who love rabbits cos it saves them cutting the grass ? it don’t make them anti’s, or bunny huggers. I do a few paid rabbit jobs now an again an most customers are exact same, they really enjoy seeing the rabbits about but just want them kept on top of, but don’t want to deal with strangers an there dogs, it seems a bit of insurance an a few locals to recommend you an they would rather pay me than let somebody do it for free

you chanced your luck, now you’ve made them aware of you an your activity, move on now as after them saying no, if you get caught there now not only will you never get that field you prob won’t get any other the land owner knows by time he finished moaning about you ?

There's some good responses on here worth taking notice of. My experience is same as w katchum, Definitely not all landowners want rabbits controlled or even if they do, where I am in East Anglia everyone has had regular shitty experiences with hare coursers driving over crops . Still, the problem is not a new thing. I first asked permission for lurcherwork over 40 years ago and it's only a minority in my experience that will let you access. I quickly learnt to not mention the dog and ask permission for ferreting first, bring a well trained dog along and it's going to be fine. Get a written permission, write if for them if you have to, it's a real door opener. Lastly keep in touch and bring them the odd present as a gesture, treat people the way you want to be treated ?

• Like 1

To be fair the future is looking quite bright with regard to access to land for a lot of folk, rewilding and carbon credit schemes mean a fair bit of land is going to get taken out of production and left to go wild / to sh*t depending how you see it, so will be lots of places for a mooch about. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Two main issues 

1. The wrong people now own a large chunk of the countryside 

2. A lot / most lads with Lurchers are bell ends 

2 weeks ago, walking a grass field little dog working along bottom of embankment a few yards away. farmer comes across get that dog on a lead. I pointed out that the field was empty no livestock in the vicinity. he went on to say he had shot 4 dogs had 49 sheep killed. all complete boxxocks. he even said one of his sheep had killed a local dog. you see a lot /most farmers are Bell ends

I struggled to get permo when I lived up North, since I moved down here I was privileged to live and work in the heart of the local farming community and got to know the landowners socially before I moved onto permission hunting.

Got plenty pretty much out the doors but non of it's brilliant there are some good times to be had ?

Cheers, D.

2 minutes ago, fred90 said:

2 weeks ago, walking a grass field little dog working along bottom of embankment a few yards away. farmer comes across get that dog on a lead. I pointed out that the field was empty no livestock in the vicinity. he went on to say he had shot 4 dogs had 49 sheep killed. all complete boxxocks. he even said one of his sheep had killed a local dog. you see a lot /most farmers are Bell ends

No need to get defensive sweet cheeks. Are you honestly trying to debate that a lot of the lads with Lurchers out and about are idiots? I’ve hunted with dogs longer than I’ve been a farmer, and can see both sides. A lot Land owners and keepers are d*cks to, most people are d*cks to be fair. But the greatest enemy of most lads with Lurchers are the morons on Snapchat / tick tock etc making lame Videos With gangster rap sound tracks. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

No need to get defensive sweet cheeks. Are you honestly trying to debate that a lot of the lads with Lurchers out and about are idiots? I’ve hunted with dogs longer than I’ve been a farmer, and can see both sides. A lot Land owners and keepers are d*cks to, most people are d*cks to be fair. But the greatest enemy of most lads with Lurchers are the morons on Snapchat / tick tock etc making lame Videos With gangster rap sound tracks. 

I've just done the silhouette challenge