Why do land owners get funky about running dogs?

I live at a huge marina and for the past month or so, my bitch has been nailing at least one rabbit almost every other night as we take a wander around the field. 

After bagging 3 in one pass round last night, I thought today I'd do right by the land owner and ask for permission to run the dog proper, as they clearly have a bigger problem than I'd noticed and I'd be happy to oblige. 

Was all polite, even put on me Sunday shirt, but as soon as I mentioned managing rabbits, they got funny. Now I'm not asking for anything and I'll keep walking my bitch regardless, but why is it that when you mention a dog so many people get their backs up?

I have permission of the land owner next door (large farm) and they're more than happy for me to take a walk once or twice a week, but I'm stumped at how to show these lot that its in their best interest.

Has anyone encountered similar and what do you find works best when explaining that a dog is the best tool for the job? I dont want to be that twat that just starts quoting regs at what is effectively my landlord lol. 

Apprecaite any response. 

TIA.

1 minute ago, 3dumb said:

I live at a huge marina and for the past month or so, my bitch has been nailing at least one rabbit almost every other night as we take a wander around the field. 

After bagging 3 in one pass round last night, I thought today I'd do right by the land owner and ask for permission to run the dog proper, as they clearly have a bigger problem than I'd noticed and I'd be happy to oblige. 

Was all polite, even put on me Sunday shirt, but as soon as I mentioned managing rabbits, they got funny. Now I'm not asking for anything and I'll keep walking my bitch regardless, but why is it that when you mention a dog so many people get their backs up?

I have permission of the land owner next door (large farm) and they're more than happy for me to take a walk once or twice a week, but I'm stumped at how to show these lot that its in their best interest.

Has anyone encountered similar and what do you find works best when explaining that a dog is the best tool for the job? I dont want to be that twat that just starts quoting regs at what is effectively my landlord lol. 

Apprecaite any response. 

TIA.

Ask your permission next door to put good word in? 

• Like 2

I thought similar so I'm gonna ask for a written commendation of sorts, but I feel like the dogs success alone isn't the issue and it's more about the fact that, in their words "its rather barbaric to use a dog".

?‍♂️ 

I'd say that just about every single person that had knocked on a door and asked for permission has received the same response at least once !

Rabbits , deer, foxes have become anthropomorphised by books, films and tv in many people's minds and are seen as cuddly little characters, not pests.

Hunting with dogs IS seeen as barbaric these days by many who's only knowledge of the countryside is a walk in the local park !

Be happy that you have some permission, and can take a few rabbits off the other place without too much hasle ?

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 9

As of most things nowadays the minority can spoil it for others. Also with trial by Social Media and a lot of people thinking all hunting with dogs is illegal the odds are stacked against you. I’ve never gained any permission solely for working lurchers it was gained by shooting. Once “in” with the landowner it was a case of bringing the dog along. I’ve sold my guns some years ago and I’m happy to just mooch around Dartmoor watching the dogs work. 

• Like 1

Round me i never asked for permission but got pretty much left alone even if caught on there land just have a chat and carry on most of them knew who I was never did any damage and used to keep d**kheads off my land haha.but I was once ferreting under a large tree with a young pup and knew the farmer whos land it was is a bit of a loose cannon and handy lad well he came flying over ranting and raving to get off his land I just kept calm and said as soon as my ferret was out id be on my way dog just sat watching and waiting any way he calmed down got talking to him turns out he'd come across 6 or 7 lads week before all abusing him but he couldn't get across to them quick enough so was still fuming I walked off there with an agreement to give him a knock before I went on his land and if I saw anyone else on it give them a clip and no coursing hares as he liked them haha

Edited by Councilestatekid
  • Like 2

Don’t know about funky but some landowners have done a funny dance and waved there arms about a bit when they av seen me and the lurcher on there land before now , but I just think they have torrettes coz they keep repeating feck off ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Allan P said:

As of most things nowadays the minority can spoil it for others. Also with trial by Social Media and a lot of people thinking all hunting with dogs is illegal the odds are stacked against you. I’ve never gained any permission solely for working lurchers it was gained by shooting. Once “in” with the landowner it was a case of bringing the dog along. I’ve sold my guns some years ago and I’m happy to just mooch around Dartmoor watching the dogs work. 

15 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Round me i never asked for permission but got pretty much left alone even if caught on there land just have a chat and carry on most of them knew who I was never did any damage and used to keep d**kheads off my land haha.but I was once ferreting under a large tree with a young pup and knew the farmer whos land it was is a bit of a loose cannon and handy lad well he came flying over ranting and raving to get off his land I just kept calm and said as soon as my ferret was out id be on my way dog just sat watching and waiting any way he calmed down got talking to him turns out he'd come across 6 or 7 lads week before all abusing him but he couldn't get across to them quick enough so was still fuming I walked off there with an agreement to give him a knock before I went on his land and if I saw anyone else on it give them a clip and no coursing hares as he liked them haha

As you've both pointed out a) things are stacked against us as the vast majority of the British population think along those lines and b) being polite and showing how consistently well behaved your dog is is always the best policy.

• Like 1

i dont get the problem of dissapointment if a landowner says no  , i cant be arsed to ask  , i just tend to keep out of fields with livestock in them save any grief  , and just do my thing , 

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Neal said:

As you've both pointed out a) things are stacked against us as the vast majority of the British population think along those lines and b) being polite and showing how consistently well behaved your dog is is always the best policy.

Game over for me then ?

• Haha 1

Over here it's hard to get permission, mainly in sheep country which happens to be the best rabbit spots. The farmers are long generation sheep owners and have a problem with dogs even if stock proofed. Any dog even walking across their place is shot on sight. Maybe just take ferrets at first until they see you are a responsible person.

For years, lurcher men and certain farmers, have been at loggerheads about running lurchers on there land,no new thing, the thing is you got to respect the land owners wishes, the main reason that permission is usually refused is the irresponsible actions ofacertain minority of lurcher owners,lot of farmers i know had lots of problems with stock being killed and worried by dogs, lads lamping and coursing through  fields of pregnant ewes,gates and fences damaged, stock let loose, and general disregard toward land owner and his land, im not saying that i have never poached or gone where i had no permission wheni was a bit younger, no bodys land was sacred to me, but always had my dogs trained to a sensible level, nothing worse than being confronted with a farmer carrying a shot gun in the early hours of the morning, i just go on land nowadays where i got full permission,give them a ring or knock on the door when i arrive, leave my vehicle where they can see it, always have a bit of a chat when i meet them, that way  im not always looking over my shoulder and can enjoy my time out working my dogs on their land, little bit of common sense and respect goes along way even these days, dont need the hassle now,mellowed with age.

• Like 2