Need advice

Can the Jill jab kill a ferret?  It’s the only thing I can think of and it the only thing that’s changed it’s really gutted me loosing a team member and now another is not looking good... 

iv had both my albino jills one is 3yr the other just turned  1yr the vet jabbed them about 3weeks ago and  both where  fine came out of season no problems but one died on Monday.

She wouldn’t eat was very slow and week and very clumsy will pale eyes and died within a few hours???

now iv come home from work and my other Jill Has the same symptoms she was fine when I left this morning 

my hob is 100% fine no problems at all. they have the same diet of rabbit/hare/pigeon/pheasant all game we can catch with the dogs or catapult  with some beef and turkey. there water is changed every morning and any poops cleaned out. there hutches are warm dry and they are out of the wind . there all out playing everyday with me or the misses  I just don’t understand what’s gone wrong gutted isn’t the word any advice or has anyone experienced similar??? f***ing shit week!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, a lot of vets don't know much about ferrets. Maybe they picked up something at the vet clinic, two dying is too much of a coincidence.Sorry about your animals. I had a jill die a couple of da

I was talking to vet yesterday about having hobs snipped and he said he advices clients not to bother as it might make them sick in long run ,he said only safe way is to get them a inplant but this is

Get it to the vet mate , ferrets can get all sorts including flu and distemper and there a killer in ferrets , only thing you can rule out in the sweats in this shite weather , sorry for ur loss mate

Had my Jills done for years and years never had a problem except a bald batch on two Jills by a wanker vet who injected into the skin instead of under the skin. Get the other Jill to the vet mate.

Hope all goes well for the other one mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

Cheers mate i just don’t understand what happened  . it’s a real shit one I’m gutted. 

The vets around my way are clueless about ferrets to be honest there shit with  any animal for that matter but ye I’ll take her 1st thing 

Edited by green dragon
  • Like 1

Sad to read this, definitely get the whole lot checked by a vet as soon as you can in case it's a disease.

Don't think anyone can say for certain it's not related to Jill jab but it's highly unlikely. There's not a biological reason why the correct dose would cause such a reaction and in my experience I've never had a Jill even look a bit off colour after a jab.  Nearest to what you experienced was my own fault. I left an older Jill in season for several weeks before getting her jabbed, that was enough to trigger the hormone imbalance that leads to anemia, no way back from that and she became lethargic and died in a couple of weeks. These days I get them jabbed or in with a hob within a week of being fully in season

• Like 1

She’s just died absolutely gutted I can’t believe it she just shut down I take pride in how my animals are kept always clean fed right i just can’t get my head round it I’ll take her to the vets to see if they can find the problem 

• Sad 2

I forgot to add there not standard size Jills.  there not micro but not far off.  I just thought the vet may have given abit to much for there size and there hormones or what ever have gone wild I duno my head all over the place trying to figure it out.

Ello there, I'm going to be honest with you all wether you want to believe me or not that's up to you I've been keeping ferrets all my life n I'm no spring chicken These bloody vets don't no jack shit about ferrets Iv lists jobs because ov getting them the snip after couple ov yes there bellies fill up with fluid n die I've had Jill's snipped n the same thing n Iv as vets tell me to molest it's fanny with a plastic pick I've learned over the years not to bother n before I finish all these clowns that write books don't no jack crap I've had ferrets die with all sorts n they write it's because of feeding this n feeding that  They will charge you hundred pound it's there fault n say something else . Don't bother save your money and pride Not one word of this is a lie .

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bunnyboiler said:

I’ve had jills for years never had them jabbed or mated them and never lost one I just make sure they’re hutch is kept clean atbBB

I once had a UN mated Jill that died at 13 yrs old she used to lose her fur at breeding time but as winter approached she would get back into condition 

• Like 2

I agree, a lot of vets don't know much about ferrets. Maybe they picked up something at the vet clinic, two dying is too much of a coincidence.Sorry about your animals. I had a jill die a couple of days after giving birth, we took the litter into the vets and he said to pts the litter as they couldn't survive. My mrs said fck off, just give us some formula and the smallest feeding bottles. She raised the whole litter and we had them for 8 to 9 years working.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 6