Whippet x greys

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best I’ve owned and seen in the field, bred out of a black working greyhound bitch in Cheshire to Dave Sleights whippet Brindle Sam. Had a pup gifted to me over 12 months back out of her but gave

Its good to hear some Whippet chat...?  These diminutive speedsters were the first dogs that I encountered when we moved from our Holding in rural Wales, to the deep Sarf...? It seemed as though

?Hey, there are dozens of lads who have walked out with me (some of them are on this site) and I'll put good money on the fact that to a man they will ALL say the same thing..."He is a funny old c**t

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Yes mate. I think they.are a bit smaller than the brown hares  that picture was took along time ago 

We've got them over here well same subspecies up on the tops ours change colour though in winter good sport for the pups 

Nice to read people not writing full whippets off for running a hare. Some of the best coursing I've seen was a bitch bred out of a coursing x racing whippet. Thing stands at 20" on a good day but legs them long ears like its life depends on it. 

3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

The best ones i have seen in the past have always been the first crosses to be honest and were blessed with the whippets recovery and to a degree their stamina i honestly think the cross was produced in my area year's ago because hare's could be found in number's on any surrounding farmland and on every pit spoil heap in the area and the small pure whippets were found to be on the small side for consistently knocking hare's over for the pot as in the 70s on some of the land around me hare's were more common quarry than rabbits.

same this way mate hares were for eating same duck pheasant etc rabbits aswell but they was mostly sold 

plenty a grews pure greys but they wasnt single handed dogs so to speak hunting for food doubled 

saluki and single handed come about the same time lol

54 minutes ago, 3dumb said:

Nice to read people not writing full whippets off for running a hare. Some of the best coursing I've seen was a bitch bred out of a coursing x racing whippet. Thing stands at 20" on a good day but legs them long ears like its life depends on it. 

the hares playing mate ever time you think its just missed it a good hare do that all day lol to kill them the dog has to make them think chasing snapping wont do it mate 

and no dog born on wet land can chase a hare snapping itd lose yards just drain itself quick mate ?

1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

These we dog's can do it ok mate it's all about getting the right whippet greyhound once they get into the hare with this bitch anyhow there's not much the hare could do stuck to them like Glue now iam not saying hares at 200 yards iam saying hunting hares not coursing them 

20200330_142432.jpg

i think you have it backwards mate lol a grey whippet is coursing lol chasing speed putting in turns lol not killing them thats coursing lol

a dog that hangs on hunts it down it weather favours the hare is a killing hunting dog mate saluki coursin bred lol?

14 hours ago, Trev70 said:

The best I’ve owned and seen in the field, bred out of a black working greyhound bitch in Cheshire to Dave Sleights whippet Brindle Sam. Had a pup gifted to me over 12 months back out of her but gave her back to the lad when she was four months old, what a fecking d,ck I am ?.

9E0C4ECB-E035-48B9-A616-C40997127415.jpeg

Cracking looking bitch mate ?

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i think you have it backwards mate lol a grey whippet is coursing lol chasing speed putting in turns lol not killing them thats coursing lol

a dog that hangs on hunts it down it weather favours the hare is a killing hunting dog mate saluki coursin bred lol?

One mans meat is another mans poison lol 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

One mans meat is another mans poison lol 

Watt is the sence in coursing them if ur not going to kill them coursing is not my thing mate each to there own that's all iam saying when I whent out for hares manus years ago I hunted them to catch them that's all iam saying lads 

20200205_104224.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, jeemes said:

Ive seen KC Whippets coursing under rules and although a few slips are no goers with the Hare just beating them there was some fantastic coursing. It was manly in the Cotswolds with high stone walls in places, but that didnt stop the Hare or the Whippets, which were sometimes no bigger than the Hare. The Stamina of these Whippets was very good aswell. I imagine the Whip/Greys to be lethal on Hares!

That Cotswold Coursing Club was a tremendous meeting place to see the KC registered whippets in action.

AS you say, it was often fast and furious and invariably exciting. 

Nice bunch of whippet enthusiasts , all mad crazy keen on their choice of running dog.

I accompanied the late Ted Walsh , and he was a dyed in the wool whippet fan..

The one thing I always noticed with the Whippet Coursing clique was that they nearly always had the best running grounds, choc-full of hares.. I'll never forget watching those diminutive speedsters waiting in the slips , often behind a dry stone wall, and loved seeing the hares vaulting the walls, heading  towards the hidden Slipper. 

I never saw many hares get grassed,..but it didn't matter a jot...

Great sport...?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

i come over there a week mate youd know im english be the colour of beetroot ??from them cold highlands i think ?

Don't care what colour you are mate I'm ginger and suffering.I  should be in the fiords, lol.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

Watt is the sence in coursing them if ur not going to kill them coursing is not my thing mate each to there own that's all iam saying when I whent out for hares manus years ago I hunted them to catch them that's all iam saying lads 

20200205_104224.jpg

Each to there own but I know a few spots holding the same subspecies of hare I start pups on them at 7-8 Month they're easy running I've took older dogs up they've done 12/13 a piece just in a few hour we did 41 one morning between 4 dogs if it wasn't for the keeper hating them passing ticks on to the grouse I'd not of bothered with the older dogs 

2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

i come over there a week mate youd know im english be the colour of beetroot ??from them cold highlands i think ?

In truth your welcome to come over mate, you have the good smart ass attitude for oz we'll have you up no cost, just don't bring those sand draggers, lol.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

That Cotswold Coursing Club was a tremendous meeting place to see the KC registered whippets in action.

AS you say, it was often fast and furious and invariably exciting. 

Nice bunch of whippet enthusiasts , all mad crazy keen on their choice of running dog.

I accompanied the late Ted Walsh , and he was a dyed in the wool whippet fan..

The one thing I always noticed with the Whippet Coursing clique was that they nearly always had the best running grounds, choc-full of hares.. I'll never forget watching those diminutive speedsters waiting in the slips , often behind a dry stone wall, and loved seeing the hares vaulting the walls, heading  towards the hidden Slipper. 

I never saw many hares get grassed,..but it didn't matter a jot...

Great sport...?

Ted Walsh was a devoted whippet man, but I seem to remember he wasn't a fan of hare coursing with them.

Didnt he say hares were not a natural quarry for whippets, and some coursing meets were decided on a "bye" or a "gone away" with no hares being our under serious pressure during the the whole meet ?

Im a fan of whippets and I've owned non-peds that would take hares regularly, but I've never seen a KC seriously worry a good hare. I'm not talking about taking them from the seat, or kick ups or leverets.

Good winter hares ?

Cheers.

• Like 3