micro ferrets wanted

15 minutes ago, Guss33 said:

Unbelievable never seen a ferret of that age so small. Or does your mate have very large hands. My concern would be how do they Handel it when they get a thump of a rabbit. 

They hit the nets with the ferret on their backs ?

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Guss33 said:

Unbelievable never seen a ferret of that age so small. Or does your mate have very large hands. My concern would be how do they Handel it when they get a thump of a rabbit. 

It wasn't planed I had two of the same litter and they were a lot bigger. She does struggle with a stubborn one big if she is getting kicked back I put my big Jill in then it's come out or dying.

That little one and my big Jill. 

IMG_3285.JPG.9e00d42a75c3a2ea528fc033cd60df0d.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

My main concern using ferrets on rats is what diseases do the rats carry and can they pass them on to the ferrets. And my other concern would on what damage can they do to a ferret as in biting them or is a ferret tougher than a rat. 

i got a way of dealing with it and that is to first use bigger ferrets and when i think there are still rats but the ferets can't reach them because of size difference i start using smaller ferrets. i never had problems with diseases i did have some nasty bite wounds but there where way more rats with deadly bite wounds done by my ferrets.  the smallest like 150 gram ferrets are mainly used for breeding  and creating smaller rat working lines. and are seldom used for the rat hunt. the ferrets that have regular rat  work here are more in the range from 300 up to 600 gram range and yes a micro ferret of 300 grams can bite trough the skull and /or neck of a 600 gram rat but i prefer to use a bigger one for that size of rats. 

• Like 1

by the way my ferrets dieet is mostly self caught brown rats i got a 160liter freezer full of them i got about 25 adult ferrets that eat rats as their main food source and also many litters of ferret pups. and the freezer stays as good as full. maybe the eating of rats helps them to be resistant to the rats diseases.  but as far as i know wild pole cats are also great rat hunters and rats are also a big part of their dieet and they also seem to  hande both the rats and the diseases well

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Guss33 said:

My main concern using ferrets on rats is what diseases do the rats carry and can they pass them on to the ferrets. And my other concern would on what damage can they do to a ferret as in biting them or is a ferret tougher than a rat. 

I often chuck rats caught in live catch traps in with a hob, they roll the rat up and kill quicker than a terrier. Mine won't eat them, too spoilt, lol.

• Like 2

mine also won't eat them  most of the time in the heat of the hunt. but the chance is big that when you give them a rat when feeding time comes that they do eat it. by the way i always freeze them for at least 3 days before i feed them so that parasites and such will be dead. 

• Like 1