Best bullet to try in Howa 1500 .243

I don’t have a howa in .243 but a lad I know does and he uses hornady 95gn SP’s for deer and foxes, a lot of it will come down to the twist rate, I use sako 70gn for fox and sako 90gn for deer in my .243 tikka, to be honest I’ve never found much off the shelf that wouldn’t group good enough for foxes ?

• Like 1
On 15/05/2021 at 17:37, Fellman Mark said:

Hello everyone I’ve just purchased a new Howa 1500 .243 and was wondering if any of you lot have one and what bullet yours use I’ve bought a few to try but could get very expensive if these don’t group well thanks in advance ??

That would depend on the twist rate and your intended use. In the two 243s i have had, i used 55grn bullets in homeloads and used them on everything from crows to sika. I will say that i never heart and lung shoot deer always neck shot. The next 243 that i buy will also be used with 55grn homeloads.   

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, ianm said:

That would depend on the twist rate and your intended use. In the two 243s i have had, i used 55grn bullets in homeloads and used them on everything from crows to sika. I will say that i never heart and lung shoot deer always neck shot. The next 243 that i buy will also be used with 55grn homeloads.   

So what twist rate is that with mate? 

It has been said many a time, you WILL have to try a few to see what works best for you, and what works best on your intended quarry.  Whilst .243 is used for target it is primarily a hunting tool, so you need to decide on quarry, distance, terminal performance as well as accuracy (perhaps price as well).   You may find two or more ammo types work for differnt distances/quarry!  Just because one ammo works in someone elses Howa it doesn't mean it will work in yours.  For example, my .308 Rem 700 is fine with PRVI 150G SP, but a pal who also has a .308 Rem 700 can't get better than 4" groups!! 

My main .243 ammo is PRVI 90g SP, it gives me 1" and that works for me in the field, I have used more accurate ammo, but no appropriate quarry argues with 1" .243 groups.

:thumbs:

• Like 2

I use 100gr S&B soft points in my Howa 1500 in .243. as far as shop bought ammo goes. Though i also use home loaded 70gr Sierra Blitzking with 40gr of Vihta Vuori N140 up its backside . That being said, Deker has nailed it with his comment really. Get a couple of boxes of ammo and put some through the barrel and see how you get on. My Howa 1500 doesn't like anything over 100gr and isn't too keen on 55gr Federals, but it likes 58gr Vmax Super Performance.......For it's price the 1500 is a great rifle when you give it the right "food", try some and see how you get on.  :) :) :) 

• Like 1