When can young pup go out with you on pedal bike?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

6 weeks is ok if the bike has stabilizers 

No need in the first 12 months imo,let the pup free run on as many different types of ground, socializing and recall...then think about getting it running fit?

I wouldn’t bike /trot with a pup my self anything under 8-9month old id just let them grow there’s plenty of time for adventures with a push bike 

Posted Images

U don't need to make ur pup run beside u now its only a pup mate get it out in the fields let it LEARN about the hunting game first then  when its more up a bit like a year or more u can start getting it fit for work But take it slow mate ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

my bitch looked ready for a spin at 8/10 months old 24/25 TTS and a strong  build..but was no way ready,had a few little bits by mistake ? thankfully it didn't spoil her,just had her out ferreting,miles upon miles of free running ,mooching with the catty,fishing,country shows,around the horses and other stock,sitting and watching  my old bitch lamp until around 16months old..got her out in as many different situations as I could..if I'm honest I still see puppyish traits in her  and she be 3 soon I think?there's no rush,let it finish growing no point running it summer time or over taxing it, feed it the best you can and fingers crossed when the time comes you will have some sport together?Screenshot_20181207-182617_Instagram.jpg.f62eb5ed6320ed16764ac374a2561793.jpg

Impressive looking animal, looks in fine fettle, atb

• Like 1

Again, each to their own, I've biked all my dogs since I've lived here (20years) cos I've an ideal route out the door. Initially getting grown dogs fit but as they've died and been replaced I find it's a good way to keep both of us fit and have some one to one times (got 3 other dogs) whilst doing some basic obedience/stock/sociability training when I'm not walking them all together.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, poxon said:

I don’t know what’s right or wrong I just don’t want a pup over exerting it’s self thinking it’s got to keep up with me or over a distance or time that’s become like endurance for the pup by the side of a bike but not for me I don’t want a pup burning it’s self out putting to much strain or stress on growing joints or muscle or dabbling to much in to fat recourses why it’s growing I don’t know if I’m right or wrong tbh it’s just what I do with all dogs tbh I don’t do to much with young dogs bar walk them regularly at a steady pace an go on little adventures exploring. I go biking with older dogs that are fully developed an jog regularly with my bitch every other night just to keep her an my self trim but wouldn’t take a pup I wouldn’t know what’s right or wrong but I look at greyhound kennels they don’t do no training for running/jogging with there dogs that are expected to run once older until 12months the most they get is turned out to paddocks 

Absolutely spot on, I run with mine cross country using a canicross harness and it's very different to him free running. He will keep running if I do, so on a bike it would be very easy to do too much, particularly on tarmac. With warmer weather here that's another risk. 

• Like 1

Pups don't learn anything running after a bike it's ok when the dog is older not pups get them into the fields there's plenty of time for all that bikeing and jogging when they our adults lads pups in the fields first please lol

• Like 2

When Noggin was a pup, my daughter was still very young and I used to take her out for long walks in her Mountain Buggy. When Noggin was tired he'd just jump up into the basket under the seat and have a nap.

14 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

Pups don't learn anything running after a bike it's ok when the dog is older not pups get them into the fields there's plenty of time for all that bikeing and jogging when they our adults lads pups in the fields first please lol

Au contraire, I'll guarantee my pups learning more every time he comes out with the bike, as well as reinforcing other behaviour (not running to other dogs, people etc).

Cheers, D.

• Confused 1

must just be me and you dave...

my pups were out ferreting at just on 4 month old....out everyday twice for a good long walk round the fields here where i live....

but they have also been ran behind my van....now i aint doing 40 mile an hour or anything but 10-20...for 2-3 mile...they fecking love it...

and when i had the f***ing pup that mushroom has over in Barcelona... that was running by the van from 10=11 week again not fast ...now i wouldn't normally start that early with running by the motor....but that dog was a c**t and was going mental in the motor watching the adults run....so out it went 

no harm in running by a bike or motor....just use some common sence

• Thanks 1

its funny how some folk think a dog trotting by a bike could be over taxing it....

the two pups i have now are 6 moth old next week....and twice a day on there daily walks they are free running for almost the hole walk....only on leads back in my village...

the hole time they are out they are coursing each other round and play fighting...the dam joins in with this...they stop for a minuit ...then start all over again....this goes on for the best part of 3 mile....twice a day....

to me this ful tilt running could potentiallybe harnfull if you think about it...the ground is hard at the mo....and they are now starting to motor fast...what you going to do keep them on lead... 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TOMO said:

its funny how some folk think a dog trotting by a bike could be over taxing it....

the two pups i have now are 6 moth old next week....and twice a day on there daily walks they are free running for almost the hole walk....only on leads back in my village...

the hole time they are out they are coursing each other round and play fighting...the dam joins in with this...they stop for a minuit ...then start all over again....this goes on for the best part of 3 mile....twice a day....

to me this ful tilt running could potentiallybe harnfull if you think about it...the ground is hard at the mo....and they are now starting to motor fast...what you going to do keep them on lead... 

it’s not you walking them 3 mile I know ?

4 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

U do watt u think best mate I'll stick to watt I think is best getting pups in the fields is watt I do that bitch was 7 months learning to mark can't do that behind a bike that's just my way of thinking 

20210224_115717.jpg

Even does it upside down. Fair play ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1