When can young pup go out with you on pedal bike?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

6 weeks is ok if the bike has stabilizers 

No need in the first 12 months imo,let the pup free run on as many different types of ground, socializing and recall...then think about getting it running fit?

I wouldn’t bike /trot with a pup my self anything under 8-9month old id just let them grow there’s plenty of time for adventures with a push bike 

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Jamie Bleu said:

What’s age roughly can dog go out on pedal bike for good jog? 

Depends on temperament and surroundings imo, I stated my pup at 4/5 months recently 4/5 miles on the flat, gently, couple times a week, but, I've got a fairly quiet run on my doorstep although pups quite outgoing lol try walking it while your pushing the bike first so it gets used to being alongside,  Don't overpace or distance it, they should see the bike as a source of fun, I believe. HTH 

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It depends how big the wicker basket is.?

Seriously though...I usually take the dog out with me for my morning jog around the wood but as soon as I get a pup I leave off the jogging until at least nine months old, probably more. I'd rather err on the side of caution than stress a dog's body in any way. It's not worth the risk.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, dytkos said:

Depends on temperament and surroundings imo, I stated my pup at 4/5 months recently 4/5 miles on the flat, gently, couple times a week, but, I've got a fairly quiet run on my doorstep although pups quite outgoing lol try walking it while your pushing the bike first so it gets used to being alongside,  Don't overpace or distance it, they should see the bike as a source of fun, I believe. HTH 

Cheers, D.

19 minutes ago, Neal said:

It depends how big the wicker basket is.?

Seriously though...I usually take the dog out with me for my morning jog around the wood but as soon as I get a pup I leave off the jogging until at least nine months old, probably more. I'd rather err on the side of caution than stress a dog's body in any way. It's not worth the risk.

Fight fight fight fight!!  :yahoo:

1 hour ago, poxon said:

I wouldn’t bike /trot with a pup my self anything under 8-9month old id just let them grow there’s plenty of time for adventures with a push bike 

Also depends on the breed/type of dog, this fukkers half collie, he's absolutely full of it, did 5 miles fast, yesterday he was off chasing squirrels during the run as well, can't tire him out lol he's just over 8 months now, hasn't done him any harm but each to their own.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Also depends on the breed/type of dog, this fukkers half collie, he's absolutely full of it, did 5 miles fast, yesterday he was off chasing squirrels during the run as well, can't tire him out lol he's just over 8 months now, hasn't done him any harm but each to their own.

Cheers, D.

im not one for biking them young mate but as soon as there jabbed want to be out playing running with another dog 

do we wait until 18 and stopped growing  to start rugby football etc ??

• Like 2

I don’t know what’s right or wrong I just don’t want a pup over exerting it’s self thinking it’s got to keep up with me or over a distance or time that’s become like endurance for the pup by the side of a bike but not for me I don’t want a pup burning it’s self out putting to much strain or stress on growing joints or muscle or dabbling to much in to fat recourses why it’s growing I don’t know if I’m right or wrong tbh it’s just what I do with all dogs tbh I don’t do to much with young dogs bar walk them regularly at a steady pace an go on little adventures exploring. I go biking with older dogs that are fully developed an jog regularly with my bitch every other night just to keep her an my self trim but wouldn’t take a pup I wouldn’t know what’s right or wrong but I look at greyhound kennels they don’t do no training for running/jogging with there dogs that are expected to run once older until 12months the most they get is turned out to paddocks 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, poxon said:

I don’t know what’s right or wrong I just don’t want a pup over exerting it’s self thinking it’s got to keep up with me or over a distance or time that’s become like endurance for the pup by the side of a bike but not for me I don’t want a pup burning it’s self out putting to much strain or stress on growing joints or muscle or dabbling to much in to fat recourses why it’s growing I don’t know if I’m right or wrong tbh it’s just what I do with all dogs tbh I don’t do to much with young dogs bar walk them regularly at a steady pace an go on little adventures exploring. I go biking with older dogs that are fully developed an jog regularly with my bitch every other night just to keep her an my self trim but wouldn’t take a pup I wouldn’t know what’s right or wrong but I look at greyhound kennels they don’t do no training for running/jogging with there dogs that are expected to run once older until 12months the most they get is turned out to paddocks 

a greys running in circle on sand mate a lurcher is running grass arable plough dykes fences wire woods better to have it use to all that before you think of running anything mate ?no better way i dont think then with another dog 

• Like 3