Sparks? Quick Question, Please?

Put simply; I want to run twenty yards or so of 'wire', outside from an internal plug socket. Permanently.

Now, in my profound ignorance of all things electrical, I have no earthly idea what factors may effect this. I'm guessing it'll be the thing at the other end? What ever's drawing power from the plug?

If so? It'll be a plug in transformer (Think phone charger thing) converting down to 6V and 2A.

What should I use, please? 'Flex' can easily double in price, I've seen. I don't want to spend £2 / metre if £1 will suffice! :icon_eek:

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

based on your description; use a professional for f**k sake ?

as a DIY bodge the safest is to stick the transformer inside and run the low voltage wire outside that way 2 core cable could be used, think heavy speaker cable, could even run it inside a hosepipe to

the difference between 5v and 8v is not going to be a problem with what you want, if the jack plugs are the right size then carry on, it is correct that for a given load the more volts involved the lo

Posted Images

as a DIY bodge the safest is to stick the transformer inside and run the low voltage wire outside that way 2 core cable could be used, think heavy speaker cable, could even run it inside a hosepipe to give it a bit of protection, if you really want to run 240v outside, get someone in to do it for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers, mate :)

Unfortunately, it's the transformer that needs to be out there, see? I completely see your point though. Fukking Great point, actually! How cool would that be?

Trouble is, see: I need the 'Jack Plug', on the end of the transformer, out there ? Do you think some bod with a soldering iron could possibly chop it off and stick it back at the other end?

That'd be fukking brilliant, wouldn't it? Nice and proper and safe as houses.

Oh, and we use proper, 'Run over by a tractor? No worries!' Black, hard as shit, 'hose pipe' stuff to feed outside wires through.

Fukkin Love the idea of having the Transformer inside though! Christ, that makes so much sense! I was looking for endless yards of 'extensions' all afternoon. Can't find any, so dreamed up Plan B.

Be easy enough to cut and solder extra wire in so you can have the transformer inside , surely someone local can solder it for you 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, sid g said:

i ran extension cable through said conduit with one of these attached

Yeah. Looked at sweet stuff like that, Sid. Sadly; The 'Phone Charger' type block would keep it wedged open. See? Kind of kill the point.

Also, as Neil's pointed out: Let's not run 230 out there, when we can run 6! Fukking Love that concept!

19 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

??? What it's showing me is 3 metres a go at nine quid a pop? Fukk me! 20 metres? I'd Hope I could find a cheaper straight run of flex ~ and someone who can solder two spots? ?

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop SpyCameraCCTV 20 Metre DC...

That 1 is 20m

• Thanks 1

Fukk, Hams! That was close!!! Thanks, mate. Brilliant effort!

Sadly; It states it's compatible with 8v. Not with 5v? So, chances are it won't go with my 6v either? :(

How the hell do you even find this shit though?! I spent the afternood scrabbling about google and amazon. Trying every terms I could think of ?