Quick set nets

Well the net was given to me by a friend so I thought I would give it a go I already have a few long nets and one large trammel net. I am unsure on when it comes to the size of mesh as I haven’t really come across anyone that is really into long netting until I joined this forum which has being a great help to me.  Unfortunately their are not many people around my way that are into ferreting it seems to be a dying art. I am the youngest one around and I am 50. And also thanks for your advice. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I have made start I will see how I go. So far  I think I have done okay. A few touch ups on the welding and then put strap and bag on the bottom. For the bag I am thinking of using a fine mesh fi

the plastic drum can be made fast and for free, it does the job, Dont have a pic of my double slot basket but i will put a video on from years back when i was in the process of testing.

the bag on the bottom doesnt have to be made of mesh....it can be a bag made from material ... the knot you use is a clove hitch.....even if you dont have grommets you can still clove hitch your

Posted Images

Gday Guss, i wouldn’t bother with the 3.5” for a long net mate… okay for ground nets but not ideal for long nets. If you want to build one yourself, hit up CH SMITH marine in Melbourne and see if he can get you any 108mm 210/18ply. The 3.5” is gonna result in a lot of bounce offs cobber.. the 4.25” (108mm) is bloody tricky to find in Aus but CH SMITH can definitely order it in! Tie it back to 200% (so 50m tied back to 25m etc.) Fibreglass temporary fence posts through Murray Goulburn…Get your grommets from Bunnings (pinnacle brand, 10mm) and use 2mm Venetian cord for head and footer line (also Bunnings). Having said all that… by the time you build a net and basket and buy posts yourself you will save roughly 1/3 of the price of a new net through Peter Taylor (ferret netting and equipment australia)….. BUT….. and it’s a big BUT……the quality of netting material we can get is vastly inferior to the quality of net that Peter Taylor imports! He orders his nets through Nelson’s net loft and I’ve not found a net as soft or free from slippage/stretch anywhere (aus or elsewhere!)  If you were to contact Peter and let him know you’ve built your own basket I’d be pretty surprised if he couldn’t sort you out with a net and poles- honestly the bloke is a deadset legend. Good luck mate!

• Like 1

I would also add that 40 mesh deep (even at only 3 1/2" full mesh) would be a nightmare to handle, you could cut the net in half (lengthways) and still have enough depth. I would agree with the others though the mesh is to small.

On 02/08/2021 at 09:26, Guss33 said:

Gday all hope you are all keeping safe from this fantastic Covid. Anyway I have finished of three of the quick set net baskets and I have just picked a one hundred and ten yard net that is 40 mesh deep and size of the mesh is  three and a half inch. The questions I have is at what distance do I set my poles at and the second one is how much bagging, kill to you have between each pole. I do know that people my have different views,ideas on it. Any information would be great as the weather is starting to get better and I will be hopefully be of with the ferrets as their are plenty of rabbits already out and about and burn of the fat of the ferrets, yep they are spoiled.And Thankyou to all with the help you guys have given me. 

the distance you set your pegs/poles.....is entirely up to you.....when i first sore preset long nets 20 years ago i was surprised to see chaps setting the pegs every 5 yards....when i was taught to long net the trad way they were set at 7-9 yards ...so when i set my first preset net up i set it around the 8 yard mark.....it just means you use less poles ....but it is handy to have a few spare poles to set around akward corners etc...

also your net sounds to deep ...unless your counting the depth at every not....

count every other not ...in other words asuming its a dimond mesh ...count the top and bottom knot of each mesh...i would think its probably  20 mesh deep

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well this is the finished product it’s got a 200 meter net with 100% baging net is 100 meters long haven’t used it yet but will be in the next couple of weeks as most of the rabbits around are small.  THANK YOU TO ALL for your help and advice. No doubt things on it will change over time. 

FCCFFD9F-5989-4CE8-801C-30EA3F8A410E.jpeg

C5FE0252-CF9F-4287-86A0-0BF96DB76EB7.jpeg

• Like 2