Quick set nets

Well I have made start I will see how I go. So far  I think I have done okay. A few touch ups on the welding and then put strap and bag on the bottom. For the bag I am thinking of using a fine mesh fishing net that they use on the scoop net. It’s all trial an error I am opened up to any ideas or changers. 

946B79F7-BBF8-40DD-81D6-2C12BE662A3A.jpeg

4FB8C3B9-8F13-4D68-B9BF-9D6A0831F28B.jpeg

• Like 4

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I have made start I will see how I go. So far  I think I have done okay. A few touch ups on the welding and then put strap and bag on the bottom. For the bag I am thinking of using a fine mesh fi

the plastic drum can be made fast and for free, it does the job, Dont have a pic of my double slot basket but i will put a video on from years back when i was in the process of testing.

the bag on the bottom doesnt have to be made of mesh....it can be a bag made from material ... the knot you use is a clove hitch.....even if you dont have grommets you can still clove hitch your

Posted Images

the bag on the bottom doesnt have to be made of mesh....it can be a bag made from material ...

the knot you use is a clove hitch.....even if you dont have grommets you can still clove hitch your top and bottom line ....you can make elastic bands out of old bicycle inertube  that hold the clove hitch in place...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

G day tomo thanks for your advise with the clove hitch knot on the poles are you able to put up a few photos on how it’s done as I have being using purse nets for years and new to the long netting. And also what do you use to hold up your nets. 

Well I have use a net for the bag which seems to work. The total length of the net is a 100 meters or 109 yards. But 55 yards long after the bagging this net is used for going around shipping containers which we do quite often.  What would be a comfortable size net for a quick set as the netting is quite heavy in its set up and I have not yet added the poles. What is the most common length you guys use. This question is probably a personal preference I just thought I would put it out their. 

EAA2F5BC-351E-470A-8667-E72F5B0ED443.jpeg

DEED0DE4-C358-4CBF-9261-4826B8ED422B.jpeg

image.jpg

On 20/05/2021 at 13:15, W. Katchum said:

It’s as simple as you wrap the line from either side of the pole, around the pole an then place a elastic band of some sort over the line to hold in place, it’s belting down with rain here pal an I’m out just now, but if nobody had a pic of them I’ll take some later for you, it really is simple ?

I put the innertube on the pole first do the knot,then put my finger through innertube twist it (figure 8) then put this loop over the knot and over the top of the pole. Itcan be slid up or down the pole to suit

On 20/05/2021 at 12:38, Guss33 said:

G day tomo thanks for your advise with the clove hitch knot on the poles are you able to put up a few photos on how it’s done as I have being using purse nets for years and new to the long netting. And also what do you use to hold up your 

just type in clove hitch in your search engine...loads of sites will come up showing you...or YouTube.

on the running lines you can do the clove hitch by getting some slack then making two loops and slipping those loops over the top or the bottom of your poles.

now this little way of doing the knot is very easy when you have been shown a few times.....however the loops have to be opposite way round to each other..

bloody hell I'm not making this very clear...look on YouTube mate.

a picture save a thousand words..

11 hours ago, Guss33 said:

Well I have use a net for the bag which seems to work. The total length of the net is a 100 meters or 109 yards. But 55 yards long after the bagging this net is used for going around shipping containers which we do quite often.  What would be a comfortable size net for a quick set as the netting is quite heavy in its set up and I have not yet added the poles. What is the most common length you guys use. This question is probably a personal preference I just thought I would put it out their. 

EAA2F5BC-351E-470A-8667-E72F5B0ED443.jpeg

DEED0DE4-C358-4CBF-9261-4826B8ED422B.jpeg

image.jpg

If I was you I’d loose the net on the basket and use canvas, the metal body you’ve made looks excellent  but by sticking the net on it , it just doesn’t look right mate , I changed my net to canvas and it improved using the net 100% as it wasn’t snagging and catching on everything , and it doesn’t hang as low like it does when using a net, , 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, terryd said:

No idea if its right but does me

Elchapo I will take that on board I think that is a great idea and wouldn’t be hard at all the only reason I used the net as I had one in the shed and used it as a starting point. Terryd thanks for the video that is the knot that I have being using but people have being talking about Gromits and bands to attach the net to the poles. I have being looking on YouTube and on the internet on how they are tied together but unable to find a clear photo of it. And to everyone else thank you for all your advice. I will keep you posted on how I go. 

1 hour ago, Guss33 said:

Elchapo I will take that on board I think that is a great idea and wouldn’t be hard at all the only reason I used the net as I had one in the shed and used it as a starting point. Terryd thanks for the video that is the knot that I have being using but people have being talking about Gromits and bands to attach the net to the poles. I have being looking on YouTube and on the internet on how they are tied together but unable to find a clear photo of it. And to everyone else thank you for all your advice. I will keep you posted on how I go. 

Here the grommets and a diagram 

B5250A25-2281-4A0C-A1B9-C7F922368A78.jpeg

E6F3A247-4474-46BD-8E91-F1CA436A564A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Well COVID has come back and we are back in lockdown. All shops are closed unable to keep going on it at this time being on a 5 KM travel from home. Well I have enough timber maybe I will build another ferret carrying box. 

• 2 months later...

Gday all hope you are all keeping safe from this fantastic Covid. Anyway I have finished of three of the quick set net baskets and I have just picked a one hundred and ten yard net that is 40 mesh deep and size of the mesh is  three and a half inch. The questions I have is at what distance do I set my poles at and the second one is how much bagging, kill to you have between each pole. I do know that people my have different views,ideas on it. Any information would be great as the weather is starting to get better and I will be hopefully be of with the ferrets as their are plenty of rabbits already out and about and burn of the fat of the ferrets, yep they are spoiled.And Thankyou to all with the help you guys have given me. 

• Like 1

never really used quickset nets, but traditional net has 100%.bagging.meaning a 50 yard net has 100 yards of netting. if you have your poles at 5 yard intervals you will need 10 yards of netting in between the poles. can't see why your mesh size is so small though unless you are after young smaller rabbits?