• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All 5 goldies are full too ?

Last

Just these 2 chicks off the pair that had 4 last time, took him out to give her a break with being early. My kakariki hen has just started laying as well

Posted Images

8 hours ago, gnipper said:

I've chucked the pea in with her. I was going to get some mules off him first but might as well try and get some straights off him.

Good luck with them mate. Keep us posted I'm going to be looking for a pea or chev cock for next season think a might have ago at muling ?. I'm just waiting on some Isabel pastel sib Goldie eggs to hatch first one should be today all five eggs were full so fingers crossed. 

As i remember the parents start plucking the chicks to use as new nest material for the second round surely thats a good indicator its time to move them if they're feeding,no ?.....a lad i know who's into all that said its been a terrible season due to the weather being all over the place.....nice little hobby i miss all that carry on.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

As i remember the parents start plucking the chicks to use as new nest material for the second round surely thats a good indicator its time to move them if they're feeding,no ?.....a lad i know who's into all that said its been a terrible season due to the weather being all over the place.....nice little hobby i miss all that carry on.

Yeah it's been a bad year for outside kept birds weather's been too cold. I've heard of some hens coming off the nest leaving young. Then some young not eating because of the cold not enough energy stored up. This chap in question put a 20watt lamp under the nest. The chicks came good an started feeding again ?. It's crazy. I've just had these little diamonds hatch 3 Isabel pastel goldfinches there's another two eggs to hatch yet. I've got these in my house in my spare room I've made into a birdroom heating and lighting another hen I've got on 4 more eggs ready in next few days  

IMG_20210513_073341_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
On 12/05/2021 at 05:56, Bangersanmash said:

Good luck with them mate. Keep us posted I'm going to be looking for a pea or chev cock for next season think a might have ago at muling ?. I'm just waiting on some Isabel pastel sib Goldie eggs to hatch first one should be today all five eggs were full so fingers crossed. 

The pea throat has filled a few eggs before he went outside with the goldie hen ?

• Like 3