a huge rabbit problem, looming New Zealand .

4 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

I completely agree, I hate poison in any form tbh there’s always far to much collateral damage and horrible slow death. Was just a comment to toolebox that with no poison being used hopefully the rabbits stay and he keeps his job! 

I think most if not all hunters hate baiting, I don't even like baiting for rats, I'd rather rely on the farm cats and terrier. You are supposed to bury the baits for foxes and dogs, that's why I don't understand the aerial bit.

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes ,slowly at first the pockets started to grow & have now reach high levels up from 80% kill on the first release. The virus still does a great job in 90% of the land in New Zealand  . Whil

My hobby turned into a full time job about 25 years ago & to me about the only differences is I now get paid .I work for myself as a contractor ,I cover 100,000 Acers,as long as I'm active  how I

To be truthful the Central Otago hills shouldn't have been farmed in the first place  ,its all rocks with little top soil, great for growing grapes these days .It is for the most part covered in canes

14 minutes ago, baker boy said:

According to the page below anywhere from 1-2 weeks to several months depending on area and weather

Where I do my hunting it's a cool, dry area, for Australia. I'd imagine to baits would last at the top end of this.

14 hours ago, baker boy said:

According to the page below anywhere from 1-2 weeks to several months depending on area and weather;

WWW.FORESTANDBIRD.ORG.NZ

Why does New Zealand need to use 1080? New Zealand’s unique native species are in crisis. Despite...

Hunters call this group feathers & twigs,nut jobs that were dead set against 1080 up to about 15 years ago when after several large donations they did a u  turn .1080 poisoned can last months if not years if the animal makes it back into its dry nest .The poison is found in the meat ,blood and bone marrow & keeps on killing entering the food chain,eg if several maggots off a rotten body are eaten by a bird the bird will die,then if a rat then eats the said bird it will also tip over & its now been found that plants do take up 1080 and bees honey shows limited traces of 1080.Now I'm no expert, but if I apply common sense thinking, that throwing out huge amounts of a poison that will kill any non target animal is NOT a great idea ,but now in NZ its a huge money making business . A piece of meat or fresh the size of ones finger nail containing 1080 will be more than enough to kill a 50 kg dog .   

Edited by toolebox

so ive watched all 8 of those little vids toolbox....very interesting little series...on one of the properties they show a rabbit fence ....but instead of the mesh being buried straight down   about 1 foot...they have just laid the last  foot or so out on top of the grass...

thats not good practice and wont work long term....is there a reason for this with regards to the ground being hard ...or is it the fence erector not having a clue?? 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

so ive watched all 8 of those little vids toolbox....very interesting little series...on one of the properties they show a rabbit fence ....but instead of the mesh being buried straight down   about 1 foot...they have just laid the last  foot or so out on top of the grass...

thats not good practice and wont work long term....is there a reason for this with regards to the ground being hard ...or is it the fence erector not having a clue?? 

We do ours the same here as the peat rots the wire in no time. I ain't digging a trench to bury it when it will need replacing in a year or two.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, gnipper said:

We do ours the same here as the peat rots the wire in no time. I ain't digging a trench to bury it when it will need replacing in a year or two.

looked real dry there though...was just wondering if it was real rocky underground ...or just bad practice 

9 hours ago, TOMO said:

looked real dry there though...was just wondering if it was real rocky underground ...or just bad practice 

No its real rocky under ground ,its flint rock and its every where up central ,that and knee high thyme on the steep unworked ground .Also its fair to say even when its possible to dig the wire in ,they don't  ,so in some cases its nothing more than bad practice . On the smaller blocks the mower hits the wire ,breaking a single wire down at ground level ,that's all it takes  ,since its down at rabbit level they soon find & use this to move out to feed .I feel shuting them out ,does nothing to effect the population ,they just build up next door & breach the fence sooner or later .Drives can be done however its not a suitable control method out on the hill & for it to work to any great degree it requires good fencing away from where the warrens are or the rabbits wont drive they just go down their warren or the nearest hole .Rabbit control must be played in the long game ,a quick fix is just that ,it doesn't last & the numbers simply build up yet again .On one short gravel road in central ,I can see dozens of warrens in banks & rabbits sitting just a meter off the road ,how you get control I'm not sure ,given that health & safety is now huge in NZ ,any risk must have a plan to manage ,one mistake & somebody gets hurt &  Work Safe NZ come after you like a hungry rottie.Seems the  world  runs on b/s these days .In most cases rabbit problems are all about the money ,there are certainly methods that work well, however its linked to who pays, that's ALWAYS the bottom line .

Myself and several guys that are involved in rabbit"control" ( I'm not in rabbit control ,I'm into enjoying my self & some sport) have been watching & waiting on this whole problem to be noticed ,for the last ten years we knew we were going to arrive where we find ourselves now , the townies & council's don't have a bloody clue, and thank god they don't, as it suits me   .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 3