a huge rabbit problem, looming New Zealand .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes ,slowly at first the pockets started to grow & have now reach high levels up from 80% kill on the first release. The virus still does a great job in 90% of the land in New Zealand  . Whil

My hobby turned into a full time job about 25 years ago & to me about the only differences is I now get paid .I work for myself as a contractor ,I cover 100,000 Acers,as long as I'm active  how I

To be truthful the Central Otago hills shouldn't have been farmed in the first place  ,its all rocks with little top soil, great for growing grapes these days .It is for the most part covered in canes

3 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

No fat in rabbit mate, there was a Hudson bat trading post which got snowed in and they tried to live off them, I believe they pretty much starved to death. 

In John Lewis-Stempel's book, in which he documents living on wild food only for a year, he said he quickly got to the "not bloody rabbit again" stage.

• Like 1

The only problem I can see for anyone who wants to go over shifting a few bunnies is you wouldn't be able to take your dogs or ferrets over there so you would be starting from scratch? 

8 minutes ago, gnipper said:

The only problem I can see for anyone who wants to go over shifting a few bunnies is you wouldn't be able to take your dogs or ferrets over there so you would be starting from scratch? 

Cheaper just to buy a decent air rifle out there an bin it before returning home. I could see uk dogs being binned quick if there’s numbers to go at a dog will soon get bored of being hammered regularly you’d need a constant supply of dogs that are good at numbers to rotate. I think the novelty of numbers would wear off quick an it’d be a boring do catching rabbits think that’s why the native people there can’t be assed to control them that’s why they rely on government to get diseases dropped an government grants 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, gnipper said:

i think that would depend on what the government want to spend on it....from what that report shows is that its costing a fecking lot of money....not just in lack of grass for the farm animals but the ecological damage ...

if they do throw some good money at it ..they might be prepaired to fly a team of chaps and dogs out....so long as the pet passports are sorted.....ferrets can also have a pet passport but i know the nz government is a bit iffy about ferrets...

im sure toolbox would know the situation on ferrets and there ownership ...but like i say ...see what there prepaired to pay

45 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Depends how badly you wanted to take your dogs. I know dogs that have gone between uk and nz, oz, USA and Canada...........

you would think the most simple answer would be put a good bounty on a rabbit....so all the local shooting chaps get out there killing them ...

off the top of my head it would look pretty easy shooting a couple hundred everyday/night....so at a $1 or 2 a head...you would think it worth while ...especialy if the government payed for the 22 rounds

Edited by TOMO
31 minutes ago, poxon said:

Cheaper just to buy a decent air rifle out there an bin it before returning home. I could see uk dogs being binned quick if there’s numbers to go at a dog will soon get bored of being hammered regularly you’d need a constant supply of dogs that are good at numbers to rotate. I think the novelty of numbers would wear off quick an it’d be a boring do catching rabbits think that’s why the native people there can’t be assed to control them that’s why they rely on government to get diseases dropped an government grants 

There’s no culture of rabbiting. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TOMO said:

you would think the most simple answer would be put a good bounty on a rabbit....so all the shooting chaps get out there killing them ...

off the top of my head it would look pretty easy shooting a couple hundred everyday/night....so at a $1 or 2 a head...you would think it worth while ...especialy if the government payed for the 22 rounds

That and long nets / containment 

7 minutes ago, baker boy said:

You'd definitely have to look upon it as a job but theres no saying you cant enjoy your work

It’d be the same procedure every day it’d get boring mate it’d be like ground hog day but you’d contact your self in to it you’d be burning bunny by the barrow loads you’d quickly become not joyful of your job 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

That and long nets / containment 

yeh when i watched the vid....i did think if you set a few nets ...then nets behind the nets....cos with so many the nets would get pulled down....but it might work in some spots....when the motor drives the land and there running for a long way...you would think that bit could of been netted in the day

1 minute ago, baker boy said:

I been working over 40 yrs very rarely in a job Ive enjoyed, I'd take the rabbiting

I think that’s the same as any one who works it’s the same old same old. Good luck ??