a huge rabbit problem, looming New Zealand .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes ,slowly at first the pockets started to grow & have now reach high levels up from 80% kill on the first release. The virus still does a great job in 90% of the land in New Zealand  . Whil

My hobby turned into a full time job about 25 years ago & to me about the only differences is I now get paid .I work for myself as a contractor ,I cover 100,000 Acers,as long as I'm active  how I

To be truthful the Central Otago hills shouldn't have been farmed in the first place  ,its all rocks with little top soil, great for growing grapes these days .It is for the most part covered in canes

2 hours ago, poxon said:

There just reintroduce vhd virus there again it’s far easier than telling lads get your dogs out vhd virus is king at controlling numbers without having to have people all over your land that’s without sounding negative 

If they could encourage all the fat Maoris to hunt and eat rabbit instead of pig everyone would be a winner, less rabbits, healthier maori. I have a couple of maori mates, luckily they don't come on here. lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I wanted to relocate over there when i qualified but the missis didn't want to leave her family, I'd have been happy to leave em lol. Was an opportunity missed and one of the few things i regret in life.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

If they could encourage all the fat Maoris to hunt and eat rabbit instead of pig everyone would be a winner, less rabbits, healthier maori. I have a couple of maori mates, luckily they don't come on here. lol.

? you can’t live off rabbit mate turn you mad ? 

explains a lot mate ? 

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

mate i was joking.....but it might be a good idea ....or at least to the council in that region...

also landowners,, farmers ..estates ..sheep stations ...might pay for someone or multiple people to go over and get cracking....might be right up your street keen young chap like yourself....its a wonderful country is N.Z 

Funnily enough I was having that exact thought. Got quite a few friends in that area, so was just thinking a bit of “get me a work visa and I’ll come over for a holiday and destroy some rabbits” rather than full on job. But if I didn’t have a business I would be very tempted by stuff like that! 

• Like 1
Just now, SheepChaser said:

Funnily enough I was having that exact thought. Got quite a few friends in that area, so was just thinking a bit of “get me a work visa and I’ll come over for a holiday and destroy some rabbits” rather than full on job. But if I didn’t have a business I would be very tempted by stuff like that! 

might open up doors for your sheep business though....get over there kill tens of thousands of rabbits....and end up owning a sheep farm...

he who dares rodders

• Like 4
1 minute ago, TOMO said:

might open up doors for your sheep business though....get over there kill tens of thousands of rabbits....and end up owning a sheep farm...

he who dares rodders

Exactly that mate. I am currently seeking an adventure............

Might have to ping some emails off this avo. 

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I always find it funny that, in UK dog books, they go on about feeding rabbit etc to dogs as it's natural, whereas all the Australian working dogs books I've read say to avoid rabbit and roo as there's not enough goodness in them.

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

I always find it funny that, in UK dog books, they go on about feeding rabbit etc to dogs as it's natural, whereas all the Australian working dogs books I've read say to avoid rabbit and roo as there's not enough goodness in them.

im supprised it says that about rew.....i went out with a chap hunting rew with lurchers and he fed rew to his dogs ...i must admit i liked it as well real tasty meat ...

32 minutes ago, Neal said:

No fat in rabbit mate, there was a Hudson bat trading post which got snowed in and they tried to live off them, I believe they pretty much starved to death. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, poxon said:

There just reintroduce vhd virus there again it’s far easier than telling lads get your dogs out vhd virus is king at controlling numbers without having to have people all over your land that’s without sounding negative 

yes the k5 was released last year & it has failed badly ,in fact these problem rabbits were totally  unaffected . 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Exactly that mate. I am currently seeking an adventure............

Might have to ping some emails off this avo. 

I have contacts out there in pest control, call me

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Neal said:

Tbh I've fed my dogs mainly roo and rabbit at times it's good lean protein but the dogs were thin as fck and dry coats, they worked well on it but there's no fat. Mixed with kibble, eggs and veg they shine. I wouldn't avoid the meat, we all should eat it instead of beef and pork imo.

• Like 3