Killer whales spotted off of Cornwall

On 06/05/2021 at 22:42, Lenmcharristar said:

We had a pod last year turn up in strangford lough, maybe the same pod???

yes it's the same pair they were off southstack in anglesey as well that year

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crosses off Learn to paddle board off the list ?

I was fishing off my kayak off Flamborough in 2008 when the local tourist boat came close and one of the crew shouted that they had seen a pod of Orca at the north side. I Thought they were taking the

Absolutely sickening that you indulge in a past time dominated by white people !.......not a black person to be seen in your picture, proof positive of white privilege I’m sure everyone will agree ! 

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, white van man said:

Been looking into it a bit. They reckon it’s a pod that is usually up in Scotland.  I’m glad it’s bad weather down there at the moment or every man and his dog would be out in their powerboats trying to find them. Seen a few things whilst sea kayaking but never an orca. 

Remember that whale off beer head...

Would've been nice to have been on the water when he was about mate..  the lads were still fast asleep though!! Lol

1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Remember that whale off beer head...

Would've been nice to have been on the water when he was about mate..  the lads were still fast asleep though!! Lol

Yeah love to know what that was. Forgot all about that one. ?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, white van man said:

Yeah love to know what that was. Forgot all about that one. ?

It was a minke whale mate, I checked it out and theer was one in Lyme Bay recorded over the weeks up to our little outing...

• Like 1

Got wild killer whales on my bucket list... one day hopefully!!

Did actually see a whale pop up whilst we were on a ferry taxi between Mevagissey and Fowey few years back.

Not idea what type it was.. quite close to the boat though.. my eldest daughter was terrified!!?

Great to see though.. even if it was for only a few seconds.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Got wild killer whales on my bucket list... one day hopefully!!

Did actually see a whale pop up whilst we were on a ferry taxi between Mevagissey and Fowey few years back.

Not idea what type it was.. quite close to the boat though.. my eldest daughter was terrified!!?

Great to see though.. even if it was for only a few seconds.

That could've been Morgawr.?

• Haha 1
On 06/05/2021 at 20:00, forest of dean redneck said:

Crosses off Learn to paddle board off the list ?

See them when sea kayaking off north of Scotland years ago. They breached about 100 yards from us to breathe, they're massive... and the smell. They stink of rotten fish! I caught the first wave and made a beeline straight to shore ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

See them when sea kayaking off north of Scotland years ago. They breached about 100 yards from us to breathe, they're massive... and the smell. They stink of rotten fish! I caught the first wave and made a beeline straight to shore ?

They probably tnought the same about the smell. "I'm not eating that. It's just sh@t itself!"

• Haha 1

I have always found it I interesting that there are no recorded attacks on people. I suppose the waters where they are found would tend to be less populated by people involved in leisure activity but is there not some crossover in areas that Great Whites inhabit and they both eat seals? They say shark attacks are a case of mistaken identity and they don't target people. Perhaps Orcas don't want to eat people and are better at identifying them but even if that were the case surprising that at some point in history such a large predator hasn't taken a punt if it was hungry?

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

I have always found it I interesting that there are no recorded attacks on people. I suppose the waters where they are found would tend to be less populated by people involved in leisure activity but is there not some crossover in areas that Great Whites inhabit and they both eat seals? They say shark attacks are a case of mistaken identity and they don't target people. Perhaps Orcas don't want to eat people and are better at identifying them but even if that were the case surprising that at some point in history such a large predator hasn't taken a punt if it was hungry?

dont know about killer wales , but sharks  the big 3 =, great white, tiger, bull shark, deff know we humans, because i was reading that, in lot of shark attack on  man, they will  bump into  you, to see if you a  danger to them, and there  body scenes  pick up we not a fish, ok we make lot splashing about that bring in any shark, but enough of there  even blue sharks will kill you and eat you. think the orcas    just want there basic  diet = fish, seal,  and few other wales that a pod of orcas  will attack / kill .

Thanks for the reply bird but I do find it odd.

Most predators will eat most things as long as they are big enough. Obviously sharks eat people and all large carnivorous mammals and reptiles have taken humans over the years. Even none predatory large land mammals have killed people who piss them off.

Why don't Killer Whales do it? They are certainly big enough. They must have done. 

2 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Thanks for the reply bird but I do find it odd.

Most predators will eat most things as long as they are big enough. Obviously sharks eat people and all large carnivorous mammals and reptiles have taken humans over the years. Even none predatory large land mammals have killed people who piss them off.

Why don't Killer Whales do it? They are certainly big enough. They must have done. 

Sharks don't usually eat people. 

Most attacks are testing bites with no follow up attack. 

You would only understand if you'd felt a sharks teeth. I used to have a set of shark jaws, the teeth made a knife look as blunt as a spoon. 

It's of no surprise that these probing bites cause devastating damage to a human.