Jump to content

Collie, a versatile breed.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

Aye looks like i went the right way, cracking little bitch to breed myself a small ferreting lurcher from in a few years depending on how many rabbits are still about, on left is dam, sire, then her as a pup.

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

fullsizeoutput_c4e.jpeg

Nah, don't ruin a perfectly good dog by watering it down with those silly lanky dogs.🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really like my young Collie bitch, 19 1/2” and 14 months. Been doing great ferreting, very biddable, sensible, great marker, also started marking moles. Can stop on hares, I don’t want her running the

15 months and 19 1/2” , nippy little thing, looking forward to some ferreting with her this winter, a good age now for it.

Great Post this ,me great uncul always had herders for rabbiting and poaching and always said if you walking along a country lane no one blinks I eye lid if you got a collie by ya side not so a lurche

Posted Images

She has turned into a beauty and its good to read how well she is doing. She was only approx 4 months old when i had a stroll out with you and the ferrets. She was keen on as a young pup.atb

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, darbo said:

She has turned into a beauty and its good to read how well she is doing. She was only approx 4 months old when i had a stroll out with you and the ferrets. She was keen on as a young pup.atb

i hope to see you for a look out come the new season, got a couple of good places to take you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
12 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

i hope to see you for a look out come the new season, got a couple of good places to take you.

Always much appreciated my friend

  • Like 1
Link to post

The only reason I won’t get a dog for ferreting is they need to be worked pretty much every day and I only go out 2 or 3 times a month and work full time. As much as I would like a dog for ferreting it wouldn’t be fair on it being in a back yard not being worked. The one thing I have never liked is how some people keep their dogs in small pens for most of their life and don’t even get walked once a day. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Nice stamp of a collie there ,nice length of coat ,I don't fancy  a collie that doesn't have cocked ears or has  a longer coat ,however the ears and coat doesnt make a great working dog nor a poor one .

Link to post
On 07/05/2021 at 11:48, lifelong cumbrian said:

I knew the guy who bred her, he is one of the top guys in trialing and has been for a long time, mid 70’s I think, he has good gear and is local to me, I wanted a slape jacket and I like the pricky lugs so it was all good for me.

Herders are often amazingly useful dogs for ferreting, especially when working amidst rough, heavily wooded old places. 

 

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
Link to post
48 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Herders are often amazingly useful dogs for ferreting, especially when working amidst rough, heavily wooded old places. 

 This Collie dog really impressed me,...his marking ability was amongst the best I have ever seen...👍

Ranks Ferreting Feb 2006 106.tif.jpg

I think it's the most overlooked asset in a good dog. most look at speed, stamina, strike, etc, but a good marking dog really is worth it's place in any kennel. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
21 hours ago, Guss33 said:

The only reason I won’t get a dog for ferreting is they need to be worked pretty much every day and I only go out 2 or 3 times a month and work full time. As much as I would like a dog for ferreting it wouldn’t be fair on it being in a back yard not being worked. The one thing I have never liked is how some people keep their dogs in small pens for most of their life and don’t even get walked once a day. 

my is in the house, learn more than stuck in a kennel, she goes loads of places with me.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
19 hours ago, toolebox said:

Nice stamp of a collie there ,nice length of coat ,I don't fancy  a collie that doesn't have cocked ears or has  a longer coat ,however the ears and coat doesnt make a great working dog nor a poor one .

no you are right, i am lucky she is doing well working, as regards the jacket, my old collie had a long coat, had to bath her everytime i went ferreting, this one gets a dip in a bucket and a quick dry, then clean to go in the house, that jacket turn water great as well, them hairy buggers soak it up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Herders are often amazingly useful dogs for ferreting, especially when working amidst rough, heavily wooded old places. 

 This Collie dog really impressed me,...his marking ability was amongst the best I have ever seen...👍

Ranks Ferreting Feb 2006 106.tif.jpg

this one is a cracking marker, stealthy like a cat, stares at the hole and looks at you, no digging carry on, after she has marked i have took notice she lays down beside the hole while i net up.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
On 09/05/2021 at 08:20, Guss33 said:

The only reason I won’t get a dog for ferreting is they need to be worked pretty much every day and I only go out 2 or 3 times a month and work full time. As much as I would like a dog for ferreting it wouldn’t be fair on it being in a back yard not being worked. The one thing I have never liked is how some people keep their dogs in small pens for most of their life and don’t even get walked once a day. 

Get a whippet mate, when not working they are happy to sleep on the lounge.

Link to post

I already have 2 golden retrievers that sleep all day from their had night of sleeping. The ages are 11 and 13. Yep very spoiled dogs by the wife and kids. May be one day but one of my mates I go with has 3 whippets and the female just recently had pups. 2 females 5 males. I will get some photos of them next time I am their and post them.  

33DBED65-D7EA-4F3C-B161-BE267B7795ED.jpeg

image.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...