Collie, a versatile breed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really like my young Collie bitch, 19 1/2” and 14 months. Been doing great ferreting, very biddable, sensible, great marker, also started marking moles. Can stop on hares, I don’t want her running the

15 months and 19 1/2” , nippy little thing, looking forward to some ferreting with her this winter, a good age now for it.

Great Post this ,me great uncul always had herders for rabbiting and poaching and always said if you walking along a country lane no one blinks I eye lid if you got a collie by ya side not so a lurche

Posted Images

she certainly looks like she knows her job ?. your right about hares, best avoided. my little beddywhippet is at them regularly hard to avoid them here. she can't catch them but stays on them, had a few close ones with roads. 

• Like 1

Looks like a lovely dog.

I had three that I took beating and walk up shooting. They were all different; one worked like a spaniel, another froze and pointed game and the third was like a bulldozer. No cover phased him. When I took them on new shoots I got some funny looks at first. But I was always asked back.

A good collie will do anything.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, fred90 said:

she certainly looks like she knows her job ?. your right about hares, best avoided. my little beddywhippet is at them regularly hard to avoid them here. she can't catch them but stays on them, had a few close ones with roads. 

My little bitch was the same. She once spent a good quarter of an hour or so continually reflushing a hare, coursing it, loosing it before I decided I'd had enough of a rest and to set of back to the cottage. Oddly enough, when I got back to the cottage and checked the map to see where we'd been (we were on holiday in Dufton) the area was called Pus Gill...ok, so it needed an extra s but it was almost right.

You're right Lifelong Cumbrian, so many people dismiss sheep and cattle dogs as we're brought up to believe (thanks to the reading matter on the subject) that, if you want to catch rabbits etc you MUST have a lurcher.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, troyboy17 said:

I knew the guy who bred her, he is one of the top guys in trialing and has been for a long time, mid 70’s I think, he has good gear and is local to me, I wanted a slape jacket and I like the pricky lugs so it was all good for me.

• Like 2

The collies are a very well respected dog in Australia and are a great working dog you will never tier out and are a one person dog that seem to be like human in a dog with out a great deal of training respect your animals and they will respect you. Great looking dog. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Flacko said:

She’s turned out as you thought Joe ?

Aye looks like i went the right way, cracking little bitch to breed myself a small ferreting lurcher from in a few years depending on how many rabbits are still about, on left is dam, sire, then her as a pup.

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

fullsizeoutput_c4e.jpeg

• Like 6