Couple of Qs

I freeze rabbits whole,gutted of course, I then half them with an axe and put the front half in with three ferrets, and the next day the back half, they do very well , they occasionally get trout and mackerel heads ,eggs pigeons , crows ect.

On 09/05/2021 at 17:34, darkwood said:

I freeze rabbits whole,gutted of course, I then half them with an axe and put the front half in with three ferrets, and the next day the back half, they do very well , they occasionally get trout and mackerel heads ,eggs pigeons , crows ect.

I do something similar, front end fed intact fur and all. Sometimes they eat they eat bits of the skin. I find always on very young rabbit up to half grown, never on an old one ?. I skin the loins and back end before freezing as we eat them sometimes. @mooseI didn't want to put you off mince, just it needs clearing out to prevent flies and as good as ferrets are at stashing food, flies are better at finding it. Decades ago I got cheap or free offal from butchers to supplement but this was before microwave meals ?. On eggs, sometimes I pop a raw egg in, no more than one egg between two as occasional treat seems fine. Cows milk can really upset their guts, although pricey cats milk formula is useful at times if they can't eat properly such as if a throat or mouth abscess develops

By a bag of pre packed pet food from the butchers and look on the bag on where it comes from. Sometimes where the pre packed stuff comes from has where it was packed or a name on it. Never know that name may have a discount store. I found that on where I get my chicken frames from. On other one I found was the local markets that sell meat.  The market I go to they try to sell of all their meat very cheap on a Saturday afternoon as they get a new delivery every Monday morning. I also find paying cash you will get it cheaper. 

This time of year i normally fed rabbits ive got in the freezers , But i get bags of pigeons while out shooting  but if they run out i get chicken carcasses from a wholesaler 50 pence a kilo , Butchers can be a hit or a miss some wont give you anything unless you have a waste certificate but ive a few that save me scraps but its hit and miss some weeks its all ferret food next week its just bags of bones good only for the dogs