Thermal scope, anyone tried one?

My mate uses an xq38 and it’s mint and that’s the base model... I’ve seen stuff through my thermal spotter and can’t find it with my n/v he’s passed his rifle over with the thermal on and it’s down instantly no messin about, I’d happily shoot fox’s at 300yard cos there’s no mistaking what your looking at. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, si brown said:

I’ve seen stuff through my thermal spotter and can’t find it with my n/v

Snap mate! f***ing annoying, swapping between the two cos can't see it with scope ?

A mate of mine has the Xq50 on his .223 and he loves it I’ve been out with it and was hoping for a shot at a fox , but it didn’t happen. But I saw hares and deer and the quality of picture was superb. I really liked the little square picture that shows the target at increased magnification alongside the main scope image , that was really useful I thought . 
             I think that they are the way to go if your pockets are deep enough.

• Like 1

Although i use thermal for spotting i am not too keen on them as a scope especially after the incident i had.

I was foxing one night with a mate, i had just met up with him and we where driving down a long concrete road to the farm. Either side of this four hundred yard long road are very low hedges. I scanned the right side as i was driving slowly. There was a fox mooching about two hundred yards along a hedge that runs at ninety degrees  to the one i was driving along. I stopped the Jimny and got my rifle set up on the top. I had a minutes delay as i couldn't find the magazine. Once everything was set i scanned again to make sure the fox was still there. It had moved closer and was sat in the hedge looking over towards us. I found it quickly in the Drone and then i could see what i was looking at wasn't a fox but the farmers sheepdog. Had i been using a thermal scope i would of shot it and the farmer would of been a dog light. The actual fox i had first seen was in the next field and i shot it a few minutes later.

Hence why i am wary of thermal scopes. Better to be 100% sure than risk shooting someones dog.  

There was also a case where two blokes where shooting a golf course using all thermal. One of them spotted a fox in the rough margins adjacent to some houses. The other bloke shot it and it turned out to be a whippet having a pee from one of the houses. They both lost their FACs and rightly so.   

Edited by ianm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watching the movement of a fox for a few minutes before taking the shot would tell you difference between the too , or should do anyway 

but I totally agree, if unsure keep your finger of the trigger just be 110% sure 

is the only way forward and I must say after using the xq38 to spot and the xq50 to shoot after a while I can tell the difference at range between a fox and a badger let’s say , never seen a dog mind but yes just make sure 

and if I’m not the safety catch stays on 

• Like 3

I bet there has been more accidents occur with thermal than is reported. You have to have plenty restraint , unless you are 100% and can clearly identify your quarry you must refrain from shooting. Plenty idiots out there shooting as it is without throwing  thermal in the mix.

• Like 1

Thermal can’t be blamed for stupid shooting and wrong identification . It’s been happening for years on the lamp . A guy I know of who ( I won’t call him a keeper) used to run a shoot , regularly shot at eyes and killed quite a few sheep , which were then thrown into the river . We used to call his rifle “ the mutton gun”. 

• Haha 4