Molting advice

Troutslayer

So I got the new mews up about 3 month back and freelofted my male gos. I stopped flying him a bit early as his tail was quite badly damaged and didn't see the point in imping so close to molt. Anyways he's been in there and Bout 3 weeks ago dropped his first two feathers. However lately he's been flying from one end to the other and bouncing himself off the walls now and then. I've since found a few tail feathers which have snapped not molted. I'm now worried that any new tail feathers will suffer the same and at the end of the molt be left with little or no tail feathers. The mews is half open/half enclosed with perches at either end. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm at the end of my teather....literally. cheers 

Sounds like you'd be better off totally covering it in except the roof. Goshawks usually pick a spot on the wall and bounce off the same place each time. Some people that I know have had success in putting some astroturf or matting on the contact points. I just clad the area off with polycarbonate and that worked for mine.

Just now, Moorman 1 said:

Sounds like you'd be better off totally covering it in except the roof. Goshawks usually pick a spot on the wall and bounce off the same place each time. Some people that I know have had success in putting some astroturf or matting on the contact points. I just clad the area off with polycarbonate and that worked for mine. They always seem to be quite settled then have to release the built up nervous energy. I would either clad it in or tether him down again.

11 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

Cheers [BANNED TEXT] il try the astro turf approach first see how it goes. Don't really fancy tethering him down but if needs must and all that.

You'd be surprised the female that I moulted out last season had virtually no full tail feathers when I bought her. I turned her loose in the aviary and she used to bounce off the walls now and then. It makes you cringe, but she managed a nice clean moult. I think when the feathers have done a year they then become more dried out and brittle, and are more prone to break. The new growth will be more supple and flexible.

15 minutes ago, Troutslayer said:

I've been thinking about that after what moorman said and I think il just box the whole front up. This will leave part of the roof open I just hope it there be enough light able to get in.

half or 3/4 open roof is good for your bird mate, as long as he got a perch to sit in the sun and a perch to get in the shade you'll be fine

• Like 1