RIP Old Girl

Well I went to check on the fuzz's yesterday and I found my oldest (and favourite) Jill looking very lethargic.

I brought her in the house and set up a box for her, tried to get her to drink, eat, keep her warm, but none of it worked. She didn't make through the night. I have noticed her generally slowing down over the last year, I had retired her from work after this season. 

I've had her 5 years, given to me by someone who said she was "useless" and she made the one of the best workers I have ever had. I reckon she must have been about 7 or 8 when she died. She was always the most gentle, the one the kids loved the most, and the surrogate mother to any new kits that came into the pack. You never realise how much they mean to you until they are gone. 

RIP Old Girl, you will be sadly missed. 

F.jpg.68773b7faa20c0a70b323457df57197a.jpg

Edited by Lamper121
  • Sad 6

Love that photo. Always sad when they die, 5 years of hunting can provide a lot of memories. Interesting the original owner thought she was useless. Over 40 years I have had a few ferrets that were obviously outstanding, most were decent but never had one that was useless. Be interesting to understand how dogs and ferrets rate their owners ? 

• Like 1

Yeah it's a sad day when a faithful old worker dies,I have a Jill that is at least ten years old, she is blind now and very doddery, but she still comes out of the nest box every morning, although in slow motion,she's been retired now for four years ,I will miss her when she goes.  ATB

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Luckee legs said:

Love that photo. Always sad when they die, 5 years of hunting can provide a lot of memories. Interesting the original owner thought she was useless. Over 40 years I have had a few ferrets that were obviously outstanding, most were decent but never had one that was useless. Be interesting to understand how dogs and ferrets rate their owners ? 

We bring the ferrets into the house once a week and they run around with the kids. The old girl always used to just climb into the gap underneath the cupboards and just stick her head out to watch what was going on. That's where the photo was taken :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lamper121 said:

We bring the ferrets into the house once a week and they run around with the kids. The old girl always used to just climb into the gap underneath the cupboards and just stick her head out to watch what was going on. That's where the photo was taken :)

Same as dogs, the more you have to do with them the closer and better the bond working and I believe they try to please you. I feel sorry for hunters that don't have that bond with their animals. I believe they are missing the best part of hunting. 

• Like 5