April Ferreting

April Ferreting sounds a bit like a female news-reader on regional TV but l'm actually referring to ferreting in April.....Which l did today. It was a paid job so it had to be done sooner or later and with a bit of breeze to take the heat out of the Sun, now seemed as good a time as any.

The bury  was a fairly substantial one in sandy soil but in an open field so l didn't feel under-manned . 

First conundrum involved deciding on a longnet pattern. Across to baulk hole hopping, or a classic surround?  I opted for the latter;well  a horseshoe - shaped affair  . Partly  because it might stop escapees fleeing on the flank across the customer's garden in an embarrassing  manner ,but mostly because the  brain -monkey of instinct told me it was the right thing to do .

The decorative effect of my lazy-mesh was complimented by an array of vari-coloured purse-nets and the time came to loose the ferrets .

20210423_161959.jpg.cf7e8134ee24a9ba4f8a99fa4a27ea98.jpg

Two jills were collared and sent forth like missionaries ,nay crusaders , to punish the unrepentant sinners of Bunnydom .To "Go Among Them!" and wreak havoc .20210423_122444.jpg.10e5355b48f510f04ff5671c18b901cc.jpg

To be honest it was a bit quiet for a while.A scuttler wrecked a couple of nets and evaded both the dog and myself .Well ,we are both getting- on a bit .

Then,madness! Rabbits everywhere ; in nets ,out of nets, in the dog's grasp,out of his grasp, back in his grasp. Back -netting, front -netting ,knit one,pearl one ; utter madness.20210423_123853.jpg.7e1590452f361322c2eea7e833ccc09d.jpg

Nothing that bolted escaped ,except maybe a scuttler that made it back to ground.  Yeh ,l know Burt Lancaster's theory about rabbit war parties coming in all sizes- them with a hundred warriors ,and them with one - but l wasn't going to push my luck looking for it.   Actually  Ol'Burt  might've been talking about Apaches. Odd field of expertise for an ex underwear model when you think about it.

20210423_141753.jpg.cb7f72ac3f18ffc1fa946cd76f96292f.jpg

Whatever, the staff definately thought it was time to pack-up .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

We where out last Saturday after a farmer moaned to a mate who has the shooting about the rabbit numbers they bolt really well we got 10 large rabbits and a got number of youngsters using 2" meshed nets , and as my son said if we have flattened the rabbits we got a load of ferret food and its no our permission LOL  

Oh happy days a farmer i shot /ferreted his farm for years and year just phoned , the guy i got put off for as he was paying for the shooting is no longer there LOL . Would i be interested in coming back ?. Only been a couple of years there's going to be a bit of ferreting along a ditch beside the house where there eating the barley but the rest i can thin out lamping . The farmer said that guys no longer here i will fill you with details when i see you LOL wonder what he did ? this guy built a high seat inside a run down cottage for shooting the gear and put out loads of feeders to draw the pheasants in from next door  

sand and sun only done side i can see, but open burrow like that for me is heaven no cutting black torn ,gorse etc i had rabbits with young embryos Christmas looks like a great day was had even with the the sun and sand personally im fishing now wont be ferreting till august ,September

good luck