Rehoming a bitch

I’ve seen the bitch admittedly only in the yard when picking up my bushing pup. She’s a real strong nice looking bitch and seemed well mannered and good temperament...so was surprised she’d not had the best of starts in former home. If I had the work for 2 lurchers I’d of been interested, tbh prefer her and that type to my own lurcher that’s just turned 2 ?. Looks dont mean anything but knowone wants an ugly dog!...and she’s a smart bitch. Would definitely suit someone.  

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for the record the bitch doesn’t have mental issues. She’s not had the best of starts, and when she came to me she was nervy, sod all recall, generally just an unhappy dog. Like a big pup with no

Aye that’s why I’m making an attempt here, and not taking her to a kennels or something daft. I knew when I put the post up I would get the usual ‘shoot her’ suggestions. I’m not doing that and I’m su

I’m not the greatest fan of people so I have quite a good ars*hole filter. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I do get what you are saying, but I’ve been around enough dogs to know what I see. She may well come a bit more, and she has killed most things for me here. She’s just not quite what I’m after. I have a dozen dogs here at the moment and I feel she would be more suited to someone else. Like I said if I don’t find right person she will stay. 

could you not give her a home old phil

OK, now I'm going to ask what a lot of people are thinking, and  i'm not being smart or being an arsehole, but why not just put the dog down, rather than put it on the lurcher merry go round ?

I'm sorry if I offend, but it it's not good enough for the job it was bred for .......it's either a cull or a pet.

Cheers.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

OK, now I'm going to ask what a lot of people are thinking, and  i'm not being smart or being an arsehole, but why not just put the dog down, rather than put it on the lurcher merry go round ?

I'm sorry if I offend, but it it's not good enough for the job it was bred for .......it's either a cull or a pet.

Cheers.

It wasn’t bred for what I do. That’s the simple answer. She was bred for a different job on different ground. She was bred for hunting foxes on rough ground. She wasn’t bred for firing at fast moving game on 100 plus acre arable fields. That’s the simple truth. She doesn’t have the legs for what I do. I’d put her down, but take her out on a walk on the right ground and she’s impressive in a lot of ways. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

It wasn’t bred for what I do. That’s the simple answer. She was bred for a different job on different ground. She was bred for hunting foxes on rough ground. She wasn’t bred for firing at fast moving game on 100 plus acre arable fields. That’s the simple truth. She doesn’t have the legs for what I do. I’d put her down, but take her out on a walk on the right ground and she’s impressive in a lot of ways. 

Fair answer mate 

• Like 1

I think your a good man sheep-chaser your heart is in the right place you give the dog fair shout knowing it wasn’t what you need in the first place I respect that fella??but it’s a valuable lesson learned all the same for future reference ....steer well clear of what don’t suit your requirements the gamble with working dogs is already great as it is without taking punts on dogs not bred for your needs in a hope that luck plays out on your side 

2 minutes ago, poxon said:

I think your a good man sheep-chaser your heart is in the right place you give the dog fair shout knowing it wasn’t what you need in the first place I respect that fella??but it’s a valuable lesson learned all the same for future reference ....steer well clear of what don’t suit your requirements the gamble with working dogs is already great as it is without taking punts on dogs not bred for your needs in a hope that luck plays out on your side 

Aye I get that. Simple answer is my main dog got killed august 30th. A friend found and gifted me this bitch as a project to take my mind off things. 

• Like 1

Sounds like perfect dog for someone who just wants a easy mooching dog like me , most of what I do now is mooching about through woods ferreting and shooting birds and bit catty shooting and bushing and   tryin  to retrieve the odd Muntjack if im lucky , as I spend more time  flying hawks but for someone who isn’t out hunting all day every day after dropping teeth and retrieving shot hare on big land she’d be perfect really , 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Sounds like perfect dog for someone who just wants a easy mooching dog like me , most of what I do now is mooching about through woods ferreting and shooting birds and bit catty shooting and bushing and   tryin  to retrieve the odd Muntjack if im lucky , as I spend more time  flying hawks but for someone who isn’t out hunting all day every day after dropping teeth and retrieving shot hare on big land she’d be perfect really , 

That’s it mate. I will try to take some videos of her, she has some nice ways about her. 

7 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Aye I get that. Simple answer is my main dog got killed august 30th. A friend found and gifted me this bitch as a project to take my mind off things. 

That’s honest enough mate ??Your always get people with a opinion when getting rid of a dog either going to a pet home or another home to work or being put to sleep I’ve been there my self I had a few people expressing there opinions about me with my white bitch I bred she only made a rabbit dog an a pretty good un at that I wanted more she was a couple of days from being put down as I didn’t want her going to anyone who would do wrong by her or use her as a breeding factory luck played on my side a family member who was looking for a rescue dog was turned down based on her younger son being 9yr old even though they got one dog already any way they found out I was looking to home her within half a hour they were at my door they couldn’t be happier with her I don’t think they fully understood why I wanted to home her they think she’s a brilliant dog there chuffed to bits tbh I’m happy for them an her she’s got a good home for life an I know that she’s never to be bred 

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

That’s it mate. I will try to take some videos of her, she has some nice ways about her. 

Stick couple pics up mate , a mate mine lost both his runners a while back , I ended up getting him a russ,e pup in couple month back   as a gift to keep him going as I could see he wasn’t the same , I’m not sure if he’s ready for another runner yet as his old mans on last legs but I’ll mention it to him he’s an old pest controller who lives his life at 4mph so isn’t after the best thing since sliced bread, and he’s only interested in rabbits and pheasants for the pot and his dogs stay till last days 

• Like 5

Personally I don't see the point of putting down a good dog when it can have a good life some where else or stay where it is if needs be. Just because it can't go like shit off a shovel. At least its with the right person now making sure she sorted for the future. Plenty are not 

• Like 8