A shameless copy & paste from another forum I’m on but saves re-writing the same thing:
Tonight I’d just got back from walking with my partner and her spaniel & nowadays I always have a catapult on me. My partner went into the grounds with the spaniel & I went upstairs to get the pug so he could join us for a leisurely stroll. Almost immediately I got a text from my partner saying to “bring the catapult as there’s an animal that is in a really bad way.”

A minute later & there’s this very badly injured cock pheasant on the patio. It seems like both legs are injured, one is un-usable. There’s a lot of tail feathers missing too so I’m thinking the new cat we’ve suddenly randomly acquired?!?!

To be honest, in hindsight I’d rather have grabbed the air rifle but had the catapult. The poor blooming thing couldn’t stand up but tried to get away from the pug when we got out the doors. Ironically the pugs blind so didn’t even see him but it was horrible to see the poor thing collapse but still put up a good fight or flight per-se.

My first time killing anything with the catapult but I was within 10 meters & it was a direct head shot. There was some nerve twitching but it was well & truly gone (did the neck just to make sure) from the 9.5mm steel ball. 

Sad to do as I think pheasant are lovely looking & have this perverse little thing that they’ve just had a year of (almost) free roam & love to think they’ll have a great many families & make areas their own.
This, however, was honestly an act of mercy so I don’t mind really.

And then this from today: 

Very disappointed as I’ve had to do the exact same thing tonight. We have a collection of sports pitches on the grounds & because they’re surrounded by woodland & a large private estate the pheasant population is huge around here. I was walking Godzilla & a guy with a Doberman (actually a wonderfully natured dog so absolutely no slight against the breed or owner) was walking parallel with us & the dog was chasing pheasant but as soon as they went from run to flight he gave up. Well just as I got to a tiny forestry block I saw the Doberman go for a hen bird & then heard the owner shouting but not a flighted bird sound. I cleared the block & the dog was trying to play but the bird was clearly toast (a broken spine).

The owner was on the phone to his partner explaining what her dog had done so I walked over & asked if he wanted me to kill the hen. He wasn’t sure but blimey, it was in absolute tatters. Couldn’t walk, run & just spun around in circles. Ignored his dithering & catapult from 10m which was an  absolute kill shot (then cranked the neck JIC).

Such a terrible shame again but it was never going to make it & was in such a bad way.

Offered the bird up to my fellow convicts here & had a guy say he was interested in it but didn’t know what to do with it so I got him into the shared kitchen & explained the beautiful bird. Did one breast myself & talked him through doing the other. Then showed him how I do the legs, much to the merriment of the pug & spaniel sat patiently waiting 

Absolutely no justification for killing such a beautiful animal but at least she didn’t suffer for long & nothing was wasted. No justification for killing an animal obviously 

2612769A-3D8E-4F54-AA6B-D1576FC6CD80.jpeg

Edited by Protegimus
1 hour ago, Protegimus said:

I don’t have an issue with hunting at all, just a shame to kill a hen bird out of season & during the two months she’s laying eggs.

Don't worry mate you'll be in good company in hell with everyone on the site ?.

• Haha 4
On 22/04/2021 at 10:41, Protegimus said:

I don’t have an issue with hunting at all, just a shame to kill a hen bird out of season & during the two months she’s laying eggs.

Nature is cruel mate, try not to attach human sentiment to animals and you will feel a lot better, the pheasant don’t even know there is a season for it, it was born to be a victim which is why it lays so many eggs, just get it in the slow cooker with some red wine and enjoy it, ??

• Like 7