In breeding in lurches

10 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

A decent rabbit dog is easy to come by a good dog for anything else is not so common depends what you like I suppose heard plenty lads “don’t bother me it’s a jacker I’m only interested in rabbits” till they get one that’s up for more then that then they’re bang into it all 

Yeah that's how I am I just mek out I ain't bothered then cry in secret down the back shed 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was gifted a bitch bred that way..3/8 5/8 bull grey dog over beddy grey dam...only bitch pup in the litter came smooth coated 23tts.. proper little tool in her day,wasn't picky around a hole,or on the

I beg to differ on that 1 mate ain't many dogs that can catch heavy amounts of bunnies on any terrain day or night ferreted bushed egg and do it well there places I know where your average dog would s

I don't see that as a problem I see that as a sales pitch 

Posted Images

From a genetics viewpoint inbreeding is always a bad move. You want diversity for a healthy/resistant population.
Inbreeding is only a shortcut where the downsides far outweigh the positives, in my view.

You can see what a lot of inbreeding gets you, by looking at todays show-bred dogs.

A lot of the good qualities you see in our 1st and 2nd gen crosses are, in my opinion, originating from the heterosis effect.

I wonder where our dogs would be today, if we would breed only healthy and cabable dogs with a focus on a lot of genetic diversity (which would be possible today with current biotechnology). Maybe dogs with a working life of 15 years that die of old age at 20? Far less cancer, blindness, deafness? ? Ah, nevermind, we will probably never know. Too much show-breeders and backyard puppy-farms around.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MagyarAgar said:

From a genetics viewpoint inbreeding is always a bad move. You want diversity for a healthy/resistant population.
Inbreeding is only a shortcut where the downsides far outweigh the positives, in my view.

You can see what a lot of inbreeding gets you, by looking at todays show-bred dogs.

A lot of the good qualities you see in our 1st and 2nd gen crosses are, in my opinion, originating from the heterosis effect.

I wonder where our dogs would be today, if we would breed only healthy and cabable dogs with a focus on a lot of genetic diversity (which would be possible today with current biotechnology). Maybe dogs with a working life of 15 years that die of old age at 20? Far less cancer, blindness, deafness? ? Ah, nevermind, we will probably never know. Too much show-breeders and backyard puppy-farms around.

Yeah this is true in some cases I think alot of the stuff your talking of comes through generations of in breeding and breeding from stock with defects and going away from the way the breed actually was at what it was actually bred for performance is the main thing is the dog my type of dog is it doing what I want it to do and is it doing it right faults every dog has it's faults there's never a perfect dog in any way or form, and I think the thing we need to remember the lurcher is a mongrel and a hybred and as we know mongrels as a breed have alot less problems then a pedigree pure bred animal

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Busher100 said:

A decent rabbit dog is easy to come by a good dog for anything else is not so common depends what you like I suppose heard plenty lads “don’t bother me it’s a jacker I’m only interested in rabbits” till they get one that’s up for more then that then they’re bang into it all 

I wish my rabbit dogs were jackers on other stuff. Getting old and prefer not trying to get the stick insects off pigs and big roos when out for a quiet day's ferreting, lol.

49 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I wish my rabbit dogs were jackers on other stuff. Getting old and prefer not trying to get the stick insects off pigs and big roos when out for a quiet day's ferreting, lol.

If they’re up for that then they’re not just rabbit dogs are they ?

12 hours ago, Busher100 said:

I beg to differ on that 1 mate ain't many dogs that can catch heavy amounts of bunnies on any terrain day or night ferreted bushed egg and do it well there places I know where your average dog would struggle your a young lad you've got a long way to go I'm afraid to say just watch and learn keep yah head down and don't believe the hype because all them people who hype things up there's a reason for it ?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

If they’re up for that then they’re not just rabbit dogs are they ?

They are rabbit dogs due to their build and size and settle down once the ferrets are in. I wouldn't class them as pig or even fox dogs. They will have a go at anything over here but pretend not to see feral cats, lol.

2 hours ago, Penda said:

I beg to differ on that 1 mate ain't many dogs that can catch heavy amounts of bunnies on any terrain day or night ferreted bushed egg and do it well there places I know where your average dog would struggle your a young lad you've got a long way to go I'm afraid to say just watch and learn keep yah head down and don't believe the hype because all them people who hype things up there's a reason for it ?

Age means nothing if your out enough, Every shitter I’ve owned still caught rabbits don’t bother with bad fields myself mate not worth the risk especially so for a few poxy rabbits 

3 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Age means nothing if your out enough, Every shitter I’ve owned still caught rabbits don’t bother with bad fields myself mate not worth the risk especially so for a few poxy rabbits 

If you do pest control you don't have a choice. I still prefer hunting rabbits in hard spots than any big game. But you need good rabbit dogs.

3 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Ive had rabbit dogs thought they were decent but they weren't a patch on some dogs I knew lads bow this is going back before the age of mobile phones and the 1 dog was catching that many bunnies it would pay his phone bill now there's 1 for yah nipper?

3 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Some lads on here run dogs on place where man nor beast should venture and make us mear mortals cringe I wish I owned a decent dog