In breeding in lurches

34 minutes ago, Hunting by day and night said:

There bull cross and the dog I covered my

bitch with was an 11 year old working collie hound he was a master on foxes but the pups only made rabbit dogs neobliviscaris1776. I line bred with finches and canarys and bred some nice native cheveral goldfinches with white heads and  wings but I never tried it with the dogs poxon 

I’ve never tried line breeding with dogs my self I’ve had line bred dogs I’ve still got a line bred collie cross bitch she’s old now an buggered she’s a spine injury she’s just a sofa dog now I’ve got here granddaughter that I started bringing on this season I bred the old collie x bitch to a beddy greyhound then a bitch from that went to another persons type of collie beddy x type producing what I’ve got now I’m hoping to put my bitch to a greyhound in 2-3yrs time shes 2 now then keep a rough bitch out the litter if there’s one to go back to the dams brother I like the type I’ve got now there good fun 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was gifted a bitch bred that way..3/8 5/8 bull grey dog over beddy grey dam...only bitch pup in the litter came smooth coated 23tts.. proper little tool in her day,wasn't picky around a hole,or on the

I beg to differ on that 1 mate ain't many dogs that can catch heavy amounts of bunnies on any terrain day or night ferreted bushed egg and do it well there places I know where your average dog would s

I don't see that as a problem I see that as a sales pitch 

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Penda said:

I race pigeons and only way you keep a decent line is by breeding tight other wise you would lose what you've got eventually or the other 1 is to find something of same type and compatable to what you already have in my opinion and this goes with out saying you only ever breed to better what you've got or to match it simple as that ?

?mate ??

54 minutes ago, Penda said:

I race pigeons and only way you keep a decent line is by breeding tight other wise you would lose what you've got eventually or the other 1 is to find something of same type and compatable to what you already have in my opinion and this goes with out saying you only ever breed to better what you've got or to match it simple as that ?

My old man's the same with his birds; he's got busschaerts being produced that are genetically son/daughters of a bird that's been dead 10 year. 

• Like 2

I the 6 generations of half x, my dogs have son to mother twice and grandfather to granddaughter once. I see a few game bred bulldogs brother sister mating nothing wrong with them they say gets good traits better but heard bad traits worse when bred that way I see one bull x brother sister mating very undershot but was a mad c**t ?

• Like 3

Had an accidental litter of brother to sister pits years ago, there were two spectacular pups, huge and healthy and there were some tiny runty pups, nothing in between. They were all fighting trying to kill each other at 5weeks. I personally wouldn't mean to do this breeding. I know serious breeders do this mating to expose weaknesses in their line but I wouldn't have the stomach for it.

Think about where yo go with the next generation, don't want to breed into a dead end, an out cross now to a similar bred animal then cross the pups back in next 2 generations??

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

With the line of half cross lurchers i once kept, the best of em (size and ability) came from close family breeding. ?

How's things Paul hope the family are well there was a couple brother to sister lining in there to if I remember that produced well out of that same line I would try and maybe get some straws of the dog for  the future 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Blackmag said:

How's things Paul hope the family are well there was a couple brother to sister lining in there to if I remember that produced well out of that same line I would try and maybe get some straws of the dog for  the future 

Take Straws from the dog outcrossing bitch now to something similar  in future put one most like you have back. To the straws from the dog ?? 
you breed brother sister we’re do you go after like Sandy said ?? Full brother sister off brotherx sister mating ? That’s Inbreeding not line breeding slippery slope mate ??

• Like 2