In breeding in lurches

What's everyone opinion on in breeding lurchers. I've litter mates 9 year old dog and bitch both working 100 percent I bred the bitch to a dog two year ago but the pups didn't turn out  the way I wanted them to. Mother and father and grandmother and grandfather to these dogs were really good workers and I've no relations to these dogs left but want to keep the line going would yous recommend full brother full sister mating 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was gifted a bitch bred that way..3/8 5/8 bull grey dog over beddy grey dam...only bitch pup in the litter came smooth coated 23tts.. proper little tool in her day,wasn't picky around a hole,or on the

I beg to differ on that 1 mate ain't many dogs that can catch heavy amounts of bunnies on any terrain day or night ferreted bushed egg and do it well there places I know where your average dog would s

I don't see that as a problem I see that as a sales pitch 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Hunting by day and night said:

What's everyone opinion on in breeding lurchers. I've litter mates 9 year old dog and bitch both working 100 percent I bred the bitch to a dog two year ago but the pups didn't turn out  the way I wanted them to. Mother and father and grandmother and grandfather to these dogs were really good workers and I've no relations to these dogs left but want to keep the line going would yous recommend full brother full sister mating 

Best breeding in my opinion is grand parents back to grand children if your going down the line breeding route always worth doing if you wish to keep a good line of stock up just done over do it can lead to the odd problem 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Hunting by day and night said:

I've only the brother and sister left penda. mother and father are dead and so are grandmother and grandfather 

Been done loads of times , worth a try imo if there's no other option ..

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Hunting by day and night said:

I've only the brother and sister left penda. mother and father are dead and so are grandmother and grandfather 

Well if that's the only option try it mate or can you source any other relations in 

I personally wouldn’t go as close as brother an sister but if you do let us know how you get on fella. likes already been said mother to son or father to daughter or grandmother to grandson or grandfather to granddaughter but depending on what way you wanna go dog line or bitch line that your breeding to . I’ll be starting a line in a few years time with the type I keep I’m starting to think it’s the only way if your particular in what you want an like the type you keep.  I find line breeding fascinating stuff I’ve practiced it with canarys an done very well in a short space of time I upset a lot of people as well on the show bench because I was a dab hand at it an was producing the goods an winning classes but never practiced it with dogs canarys are a fast turn over we’re as dogs your in it for the long hall if your breeding from bitches that are proven workers at 4-5 yrs old. 

There bull cross and the dog I covered my

bitch with was an 11 year old working collie hound he was a master on foxes but the pups only made rabbit dogs neobliviscaris1776. I line bred with finches and canarys and bred some nice native cheveral goldfinches with white heads and  wings but I never tried it with the dogs poxon 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hunting by day and night said:

There bull cross and the dog I covered my

bitch with was an 11 year old working collie hound he was a master on foxes but the pups only made rabbit dogs neobliviscaris1776. I line bred with finches and canarys and bred some nice native cheveral goldfinches with white heads and  wings but I never tried it with the dogs poxon 

I race pigeons and only way you keep a decent line is by breeding tight other wise you would lose what you've got eventually or the other 1 is to find something of same type and compatable to what you already have in my opinion and this goes with out saying you only ever breed to better what you've got or to match it simple as that ?

• Like 3