Ground work for stupid people

On 18/04/2021 at 21:38, DIDO.1 said:

I've got a good bed of mot 1....im not laying on sand, just half inch to an inch of grit sand scraped off under em....then loads of mortor as a good bed. Would you not use that sand then? 

If youve levelled out your mot/type 1 good enough youd be better of laying on muck straight on top of that.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking. One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mat

Going down slowly. 4th row not laid yet that's why they are wonky 

I've got a load of 600x600 paving slabs. Shall I stagger the joints 50/50, randomly or end to end?  Lay em on sand with small joints and brush sand in or use one onof those jointing compounds? 

Posted Images

Run out of cement, apparently there is a national shortage! Managed to get 3 bags of ready mix so at least I can do my wall tops and do a few cuts to keep me busy. 

I'll start pointing as well, anyone used this stuff? 

I used ready mix a good few yrs ago.it was piss poor to be honest mate.weak once it had set.im sure they make it with the minimum about of cement that they can get away with..

If I was you I would use it under the slabs and not for anything else..

20 hours ago, king said:

I used ready mix a good few yrs ago.it was piss poor to be honest mate.weak once it had set.im sure they make it with the minimum about of cement that they can get away with..

If I was you I would use it under the slabs and not for anything else..

Yeah I only got 3 bags of it because there was no cement

6 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Yeah I only got 3 bags of it because there was no cement

I pointed a few slabs and once I picked them up and tapped the cement off the it literally turned to dust very poor..

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, gnipper said:

Looking good mate

Yeah I'm happy with it. Now I just need the bird room at the top. I've got 20"x8" to play with but if I get it made its a 5 month waiting list. Just do t have time to build it myself. I'm going to go look at timber this week but it may take all summer to get it up

• Like 1