Jump to content

Ground work for stupid people


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking. One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mat

That would mean paying, an our dido is as tight as primark leggins 😂

Going down slowly. 4th row not laid yet that's why they are wonky 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

I've put 2 inch at least of wackered mot 1 down. Then a layer of grit sand, then I'm just putting a right good mortor bed under each.....sort of 5 blobs but they are spreading into each other so there plenty under em

What stone are they? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

What stone are they? 

Concrete. 25 of these textured ones and 50 plain grey. I know its an odd mix but they were delivered for 200 notes 

IMG_20210418_194139.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Half bond or staggered looks nice,but you need a diamond saw to cut the half's with straight joints you can make your patio work to 5 slabs long x 5wide for example. Lay them on a compacted hard-core,or type 1 base.use sharp sand with building sand and cement.i use pva mixed with cement powder and water painted  on back of slabs to stop  them lifting(rocking)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

Half bond or staggered looks nice,but you need a diamond saw to cut the half's with straight joints you can make your patio work to 5 slabs long x 5wide for example. Lay them on a compacted hard-core,or type 1 base.use sharp sand with building sand and cement.i use pva mixed with cement powder and water painted  on back of slabs to stop  them lifting(rocking)

I've got a stihl saw but don't think it's a diamond saw.....the one cut I've done looks OK though. I've got grit sand which I'm putting a down on top of compacted mot 1. I'm also using the grit sand to mix the mortor as if got loads of it. Just sitting them on a good bed of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hired a mini digger.stripped 4" off a section of the lawn wacked the ground with the back of the bucket.2" of sand down leveled that and laid slabs straight on it. Mixed a 2/1 sand and cement for jointing really strong mix goes off like iron.patio is solid.. feck messing about with 5 spots and all that nonsence..

You see some people with the odd slab countersunk into the lawn with nothing below except soil.and they sit there solid..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I've got a stihl saw but don't think it's a diamond saw.....the one cut I've done looks OK though. I've got grit sand which I'm putting a down on top of compacted mot 1. I'm also using the grit sand to mix the mortor as if got loads of it. Just sitting them on a good bed of that. 

It's a worry laying on just sand,water will travel under it,creating sunk slabs,and rockers.but its what suits your budget at the end of the day

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

It's a worry laying on just sand,water will travel under it,creating sunk slabs,and rockers.but its what suits your budget at the end of the day

I've got a good bed of mot 1....im not laying on sand, just half inch to an inch of grit sand scraped off under em....then loads of mortor as a good bed. Would you not use that sand then? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

I bed straight down on to mot.( type 1)

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking.

One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mate...

 

WP_000310.jpg

WP_000316.jpg

WP_000319.jpg

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fireman said:

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking.

One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mate...

 

WP_000310.jpg

WP_000316.jpg

WP_000319.jpg

Looks really good that. I'll bear that in mind with the sand. I've still got half a bag of mot 1 so I'll wack that in tomorrow and use more mortor straight onto the mot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...