Ground work for stupid people

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking. One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mat

Going down slowly. 4th row not laid yet that's why they are wonky 

I've got a load of 600x600 paving slabs. Shall I stagger the joints 50/50, randomly or end to end?  Lay em on sand with small joints and brush sand in or use one onof those jointing compounds? 

Posted Images

Half bond or staggered looks nice,but you need a diamond saw to cut the half's with straight joints you can make your patio work to 5 slabs long x 5wide for example. Lay them on a compacted hard-core,or type 1 base.use sharp sand with building sand and cement.i use pva mixed with cement powder and water painted  on back of slabs to stop  them lifting(rocking)

3 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

Half bond or staggered looks nice,but you need a diamond saw to cut the half's with straight joints you can make your patio work to 5 slabs long x 5wide for example. Lay them on a compacted hard-core,or type 1 base.use sharp sand with building sand and cement.i use pva mixed with cement powder and water painted  on back of slabs to stop  them lifting(rocking)

I've got a stihl saw but don't think it's a diamond saw.....the one cut I've done looks OK though. I've got grit sand which I'm putting a down on top of compacted mot 1. I'm also using the grit sand to mix the mortor as if got loads of it. Just sitting them on a good bed of that. 

I hired a mini digger.stripped 4" off a section of the lawn wacked the ground with the back of the bucket.2" of sand down leveled that and laid slabs straight on it. Mixed a 2/1 sand and cement for jointing really strong mix goes off like iron.patio is solid.. feck messing about with 5 spots and all that nonsence..

You see some people with the odd slab countersunk into the lawn with nothing below except soil.and they sit there solid..

17 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I've got a stihl saw but don't think it's a diamond saw.....the one cut I've done looks OK though. I've got grit sand which I'm putting a down on top of compacted mot 1. I'm also using the grit sand to mix the mortor as if got loads of it. Just sitting them on a good bed of that. 

It's a worry laying on just sand,water will travel under it,creating sunk slabs,and rockers.but its what suits your budget at the end of the day

• Like 2

It's a worry laying on just sand,water will travel under it,creating sunk slabs,and rockers.but its what suits your budget at the end of the day

I've got a good bed of mot 1....im not laying on sand, just half inch to an inch of grit sand scraped off under em....then loads of mortor as a good bed. Would you not use that sand then? 

I bed straight down on to mot.( type 1)

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking.

One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mate...

WP_000310.jpg

WP_000316.jpg

WP_000319.jpg

• Like 14
29 minutes ago, fireman said:

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking.

One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mate...

WP_000310.jpg

WP_000316.jpg

WP_000319.jpg

Looks really good that. I'll bear that in mind with the sand. I've still got half a bag of mot 1 so I'll wack that in tomorrow and use more mortor straight onto the mot. 

• Like 1
On 18/04/2021 at 22:13, Daniel cain said:

25)30 mm bed of dust/sharp sand 4/1 mix with cement to lay on,flags and sandstone a wet mortar mix...never lay on spots ?that's the dinlo way?

Spotting them is shit.Always sound hollow and allows water to get underneath which if it freezes will lift the slabs.Solid bed all the way.