Ground work for stupid people

I've got a load of 600x600 paving slabs. Shall I stagger the joints 50/50, randomly or end to end? 

Lay em on sand with small joints and brush sand in or use one onof those jointing compounds? 

How long is it safe for a 7 year old to use a whacker plate for.....just until he cries? 

IMG_20210418_140218.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As he says,laying on sand can cause the sand no matter how thin it is to move and then under mine the slab so causing rocking. One patio i put right for someone,looks so much better staggered mat

Going down slowly. 4th row not laid yet that's why they are wonky 

I've got a load of 600x600 paving slabs. Shall I stagger the joints 50/50, randomly or end to end?  Lay em on sand with small joints and brush sand in or use one onof those jointing compounds? 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I've got a load of 600x600 paving slabs. Shall I stagger the joints 50/50, randomly or end to end? 

Lay em on sand with small joints and brush sand in or use one onof those jointing compounds? 

How long is it safe for a 7 year old to use a whacker plate for.....just until he cries? 

IMG_20210418_140218.jpg

Depends on what look you're after, staggered for me. 

I can't lay slabs but laboured for someone who does and they always looked better 50/50 staggered joints and he layed they on a bed of mortar (not a dab in each corner but like you'd lay bricks on all round the outside edge ) then mortar all the joints ,he said it cost a bit more material wise but was easier and never suffered with loose flags.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Chid said:

I can't lay slabs but laboured for someone who does and they always looked better 50/50 staggered joints and he layed they on a bed of mortar (not a dab in each corner but like you'd lay bricks on all round the outside edge ) then mortar all the joints ,he said it cost a bit more material wise but was easier and never suffered with loose flags.

Agreed. 

Piece of piss this ground work. Got my first row in. I tell ya, after the success of my concrete pad I'm thinking of going semi pro garden make overs. 

Just let my stack of flags fall and smashed two! 35 quid each them bad boys! Or they would be if I hadn't of got em clearance price so already got a few chipped ones. Can't afford any more mishaps! 

Just found 3 cans of this in the shed. Tastes like a teenage camping trip ?

IMG_20210418_160831.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

IMG_20210418_140218.jpg

I feel your pain,  I've been at it all day, it'll be worth it in the end  ?IMG_20210418_173909.jpg.f02011bb25f491681f85251681c29fe7.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Staggered allows for anything being a mm or 2 out.When you say lay them on sand are you just laying them on screeded out sand?

I've put 2 inch at least of wackered mot 1 down. Then a layer of grit sand, then I'm just putting a right good mortor bed under each.....sort of 5 blobs but they are spreading into each other so there plenty under em

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

I've put 2 inch at least of wackered mot 1 down. Then a layer of grit sand, then I'm just putting a right good mortor bed under each.....sort of 5 blobs but they are spreading into each other so there plenty under em

What stone are they?