Self employed pest control

It all depends on the competition. If you live in an area with little competition then you will get ahead much quicker than if it is cut-throat. I agree with what Mole Trapper has said. You have to be prepared for a slow start over two or possibly three years before you can hope to get established. Once you are established you can be more choosy and decline any work that is too much hassle or too far to travel. Over the years you can shape the business, but you are looking at a minimum of five years to get to that point even if you have little competition.

• Like 3

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s hard, no bones about it. started whilst working full time with a two hour commute so that meant evening and weekends plus I’d take annual leave to do farms. Finishing a day’s work to put on

Well, there really is only one sure-fire way to find out if the job is finacially viable,...and that is by giving it a brave go... I started out many years ago,..and to be honest, my only option

I think when you get older you start to appreciate your hunting fishing etc more and personally I don’t clash myself as I used to years back, I like to make all my own gear for all sorts of hobbies as

On 19/04/2021 at 05:10, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Cheers for the replies, think I will just have to give it a go and see what happens, I’ve already packed in the 9 to 5 to have a bit of a sabbatical lol, got a bit of savings behind me to fall back on, much prefer to be working for myself, mugs game working for someone else, use to work all day for £80, self employed could earn £80 in 20 mins doing 1 wasps nest, if I can get enough work it’s a no brainier 

That's it, you don't want to be slaving for someone, more so as you get older. Despite the old saying  that hard work never killed anyone, I'm afraid it does.

• Like 1
On 19/04/2021 at 19:40, Ken's Deputy said:

What's that actually mean, Drops? I've heard about " Aggressive Takeovers " before. Never have had a clue what it's all about ?

Means a shovle 6ft hole a gun bag of lime visqueen and duct tape then offer to by someone's  pest control business from them , if they refuse , we'll....... 

On 19/04/2021 at 19:40, Ken's Deputy said:

What's that actually mean, Drops? I've heard about " Aggressive Takeovers " before. Never have had a clue what it's all about ?

Involves buying up shares under another company name .That’s if they are on the stock market of course .

Work for a company then take business from under them .Not illegal but not nice .

• Thanks 1
On 18/04/2021 at 17:10, foxdropper said:

Never mind the whingers  mate .Get out on your own and undercut a few until your sorted .Plenty want to see you stuck where you are doing nothing with your life .Do it mate ,live the dream ,there’s never a good time just do it .

I've walked away from cupple of farms as only willing pay £6a mole stick to your price as you end up working for nowt , £10 a mole or £20 a hour , farm on now he tuck £20 a hour he happy man as he winning 75 moles 30 hours he saved £150 , pluss same farmer got me two more farms , it is hard to start been at it over year an just starting to pick up ?

• Like 2

There's no easy answers and it massively depends on the area you are in and you own particular strengths and weaknesses. 

I've spoken to people who do most of their advertising in local magazines and newspapers, others use Facebook. Neither of those methods work for me. I get work from my website, yet I'm on my 4th website before I got a decent one. That can cost thousands. I set to and learned about seo so I can do much of it myself. But it's getting harder to make organic results show on Google. You really need to be on the first page, yet the top 3 results are paid adds, often the council is on there so that only gives you about other chances.....and there might be 30 other companies chasing those 3 other first page spots! 

2 blokes set up local to me. Both lifelong rentokil blokes, the business didn't last a year. 

Can you sell and cold call? Can you walk into a large warehouse and not only ask them about pest control but can you get past the 3 layers of dogs bodies and receptionists to reach the correct person? 

Im not trying to be negative. I have helped numerous local lads set up, I'm really not scared of competition. But times are changing and you have to be on top of  your game in more ways than you would  imagine 

• Like 3

Labour rates are rising fast at the moment for those willing to work .It’s a fickle time for the building trade .Labour rates going up because fewer lads left in the business .Materials at an all time hard to get but work taking off at a rate I’ve never seen .

Basically ,the works there ,decent tradesmen are there but materials shortfalls are keeping the job back .Against my better judgement we will have 11 jobs started by end of next week waiting on stone ,tiles and timber the 3 main hiccups at moment in our line .I dislike the practice ,customers dislike it but it’s either that or enforced break ,again .

• Like 1