Self employed pest control

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s hard, no bones about it. started whilst working full time with a two hour commute so that meant evening and weekends plus I’d take annual leave to do farms. Finishing a day’s work to put on

Well, there really is only one sure-fire way to find out if the job is finacially viable,...and that is by giving it a brave go... I started out many years ago,..and to be honest, my only option

I think when you get older you start to appreciate your hunting fishing etc more and personally I don’t clash myself as I used to years back, I like to make all my own gear for all sorts of hobbies as

There is that many doing it now mate it’s like a cut throat business,I’ve been doing it for 20yrs for 2 big companies and wouldn’t even think of doing it alone at this day and age mate.Especially when you have Killgerm doing a 3day course for people how have never been into pest control then starting up on there own and don’t know what they are doing or even have a clue.That pees me right off as it’s people like use that have to do their f**k ups after they have filled the customer full of crap.But if you do it it will take you at least a year by the time you buy your van then all ya business cards and try to take a few customers in just to keep ya a float before you even make a penny.But hopefully by the 2nd year you should see a little bit of money trying to come in as most customers will pay you either at the end of a month or longer.There is a lot to take on boards mate so it’s up to you if you can ride the storm before you Chuck the towel in mate.I would rather know were my wagers are coming from each month then try to chas the dollar but good luck with what you do ?

• Like 1
On 18/04/2021 at 07:58, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Is anyone on here a self employed pest controller ? I was just after some advise on how hard it is to set up on your own, how long it takes to build up enough business etc. I’ve worked for a big company doing pest control for 5 years and was thinking of going it alone. Any advise much appreciated.

Well, there really is only one sure-fire way to find out if the job is finacially viable,...and that is by giving it a brave go...

I started out many years ago,..and to be honest, my only option was to reach for the stars, because I sure as hell was going down the hill,..fast..?

Nowadays, there is a whole lot of legislation that I did not have to face, so as you probably know, it pays to get yourself certificated in the various tasks, or trouble will ensue.

I only do a few Moles and Rabbits during the Winter months, and treat Wasp and Hornet nests from May through to late September,..and that is plenty enough for me.

Mind you,..I am pretty darn frugal and of course,..., incredibly, incredibly,..old...?

Whatever you decide,..I wish you grreat success...?

Kind regards, OldPhil.

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Never mind the whingers  mate .Get out on your own and undercut a few until your sorted .Plenty want to see you stuck where you are doing nothing with your life .Do it mate ,live the dream ,there’s never a good time just do it .

• Like 3

As above,  I jumped in over twenty years ago,  best move I ever made. There is literally oceans of work out there, Great money and a fantastic way of life.

If you are married however your spouse will have to be 101% on board, first five years its all hours, six days a week. 

• Like 5

Cheers for the replies, think I will just have to give it a go and see what happens, I’ve already packed in the 9 to 5 to have a bit of a sabbatical lol, got a bit of savings behind me to fall back on, much prefer to be working for myself, mugs game working for someone else, use to work all day for £80, self employed could earn £80 in 20 mins doing 1 wasps nest, if I can get enough work it’s a no brainier 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, mole trapper said:

As above,  I jumped in over twenty years ago,  best move I ever made. There is literally oceans of work out there, Great money and a fantastic way of life.

If you are married however your spouse will have to be 101% on board, first five years its all hours, six days a week. 

All hours 6 days a week ? thats exactly what I’m trying to get away from being self employed a more of a work/life balance rather than just regimental work all the time with no time for anything else 

5 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Well, there really is only one sure-fire way to find out if the job is finacially viable,...and that is by giving it a brave go...

I started out many years ago,..and to be honest, my only option was to reach for the stars, because I sure as hell was going down the hill,..fast..?

Nowadays, there is a whole lot of legislation that I did not have to face, so as you probably know, it pays to get yourself certificated in the various tasks, or trouble will ensue.

I only do a few Moles and Rabbits during the Winter months, and treat Wasp and Hornet nests from May through to late September,..and that is plenty enough for me.

Mind you,..I am pretty darn frugal and of course,..., incredibly, incredibly,..old...?

Whatever you decide,..I wish you grreat success...?

Kind regards, OldPhil.

20190304180951_01.jpg

Maurice Sedwell?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Spot on mate 

Different scenario I know but I left a well paid job to go it alone and start a business .The thankless graft was enough to steer me to leave .I now employ 6 trades and have my own secretary lol.3 holidays a year and all the time away from it I want now it runs itself .

More time to hunt and put you feckers in your place on here ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

All hours 6 days a week ? thats exactly what I’m trying to get away from being self employed a more of a work/life balance rather than just regimental work all the time with no time for anything else 

That's it, work to live not live to work

• Like 1
17 hours ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

You're only going to get that balance once established, starting any business takes hard graft and dedication. Don't make the mistake many make coming ' off the books' ie your comment about making eighty quid for 20 mins work. There's a whole load of overheads to come out of that. 

If you're willing to put the work in its a good move, go for it, but do it with your eyes open. 

Edited by stormyboy
  • Like 4
26 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

your comment about making eighty quid for 20 mins work. There's a whole load of overheads to come out of that.

Yeppers. Remember, you'll need All your own equipment. No more pulling the firms DR5 out of Their van ..... Envisage spending £K's on kitting up.

The good news is that ebay's usually awash with barely used gear, from those who thought it'd be a piece of piss ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2