Toe help

Wondering if some of you more experienced people can offer some guidance. Recently got my first lurcher puppy, currently around 14 weeks old. Have done as much research as possible regarding her exercise and training and all has been going well. Until yesterday, she had a mad 10 minutes in the garden with my spaniel and then and hour or so later she was holding her rear leg up. Checked it over but nothing obvious so assumed she had just knocked it. Now just got home from work and although not holding it up,  she is limping a little but putting weight on it. Have however noticed her toe is swollen, have tried looking into broken & dislocated toes in lurchers but not very helpful, could anybody provide any clarity before I get her to vets? 

20210415_065201.jpg

You will get some sound advice from most people off this site bud but what I'd say is if your worried about it just get it to the vets. I'd be inclined to give it a day see if it goes down over night once shes not on it and if it dosnt I'd get to the vets ? 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

You will get some sound advice from most people off this site bud but what I'd say is if your worried about it just get it to the vets. I'd be inclined to give it a day see if it goes down over night once shes not on it and if it dosnt I'd get to the vets ? 

Possibly just worrying because never had lurchers before and is simply a knock but its an unknown for me, my plan is to get her into vets this afternoon, been on a night shift so will see if it goes down at all by time I wake up and if still swollen will take her

Knocked up toe is a colloquial term for an over extension of the joint that damages the joint and supporting tendons, time will tell how much damage has been done. A vet is not a bad idea initially and they can supply some anti inflammatories.

I'd lead walk only and use a low dose of an anti inflammatory like metacam. Once pain has reduced enough see if the joint is mobile, gently move the toe through its normal range of movement, if so keep it mobile with daily sessions. It takes 6 weeks to fully repair tendons. 

Build up exercise but be careful of galloping to early especially on hard ground. One of the big problems is that the joint fixes in position through the extra bone growth as the joint repairs and reduced tendon support. Then when the toe takes a knock in the future it gets forced to move and so breaks the new bone spurs which in turn leads to more and more compromise.

I've had dogs with this, as most have once you have been in the game a few years, most have been ok unless run on particularly hard ground. its young so if there’s isn't to much tendon damage and you can keep the toe mobile it may well come ok, if in time its getting worse then you'll need to see a vet used to treating greyhound types.

Cold water if it happens again, soon as noted, a stream will do if out then anti inflammatory these reduce the repair to a degree but in doing so may reduce over calcification of the joint in the longer term.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Wondering if some of you more experienced people can offer some guidance. Recently got my first lurcher puppy, currently around 14 weeks old. Have done as much research as possible regarding her exercise and training and all has been going well. Until yesterday, she had a mad 10 minutes in the garden with my spaniel and then and hour or so later she was holding her rear leg up. Checked it over but nothing obvious so assumed she had just knocked it. Now just got home from work and although not holding it up,  she is limping a little but putting weight on it. Have however noticed her toe is swollen, have tried looking into broken & dislocated toes in lurchers but not very helpful, could anybody provide any clarity before I get her to vets? 

20210415_065201.jpg

Don’t let the pup run around for 4 to 6 weeks but you can lead walk it and it will be sound mate. On a older dog I would cut the nail back but looking at them young little nail I can’t see a need . Atb

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Trev70 said:

Don’t let the pup run around for 4 to 6 weeks but you can lead walk it and it will be sound mate. On a older dog I would cut the nail back but looking at them young little nail I can’t see a need . Atb

I was literally just typing to ask about how much rest to give it and if she's still OK to lead walk so thanks for answering 

• Like 1

Sandymere, thanks for that i will get her into vets this afternoon and get some anti inflammatory for her, im sure 6 weeks of lead walking will do her head in but would rather she be able to run sound in the future! Thanks for the info and advice ? 

I had a whippet greyhound was a great game dog but by the time he was retired most of he's toes was like that a pain really he was a great dog but the amount of time healing was a pain in the arse and they never really went back to normal after loads of rest. I took him to a greyhound vet and he blistered the bad toe but tbh just made he's toe sore so never bothered again 

Hope the pups toes OK bud 

I had the same thing years ago with my whippet dog......toe all swelled and dog limping, i asked on here for advise, one told me the pressure needs to be released, he said get some nails clippers and the nail on the toe which is swelled needs to be cut.......but shorter than normal so it bleeds hence releasing the pressure, i didn't like the thought of that as the initial cut would hurt the dog. I did as the guy had said and as soon as i cut the nail short.......it bled a little and the toe went down a little it had released the pressure build up, im not saying this is a instant fix as rest is key but it did seem to ease things a little for dog after that cut.

Cheers for the help cuys, shes booked in to vets for 5.15, will drop some ice on it until then. Hopefully get a clearer picture from vet and some anti inflammatory. Couple of months of lead walking. Hoping it will sort it and won't affect her running but from what I've read its likely to happen a lot now she's done it once. Thanks again all! 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Cheers for the help cuys, shes booked in to vets for 5.15, will drop some ice on it until then. Hopefully get a clearer picture from vet and some anti inflammatory. Couple of months of lead walking. Hoping it will sort it and won't affect her running but from what I've read its likely to happen a lot now she's done it once. Thanks again all! 

If u look after it ,the toe like ,should be fine she's young 

• Like 1

For anyone interested, just got back from vets with some anti inflammatory, no x Ray as apparently range of motion is good without pain, back to vet middle next week for another assessment. rest and small amounts of lead walking for next 6-8 weeks. Initial thought from vet was ligament damage. Thanks again all! 

• Like 2