" Nanny Foxes "

I've read that they can exist. Young vixen cubs who stick around. Or maybe even a sibling of the 'Alpha' vixen. Seems they'll pitch in and help the main vixen with rearing her cubs.

This can be the only 'explanation' for what I saw, last night. It's all a bit sketchy now, to be honest. The last thirty odd hours have been a living hell, frankly. Culminating in my pulling a stomach muscle in what sleep I had. Walking wounded, mentally and physically then.

So, I can't honestly remember Why it played out like it did, last night? I just remember happening to stand up and glancing out the window. Fox fox had been late on parade and her chicks were just laying there.

Only, as I randomly popped up and looked? In the dusky light, a fox appeared. They all look much of a muchness to me. But, at a glance, I just knew this one wasn't Fox fox.

Absolutely fukking remarkable thing was though; This fox was crossing my right to left. Towards where Fox fox lives. And 'she' walked right next to a pile of six, fresh day old chicks. I thought; " Oh, fukking great! Now she's gonna have Fox fox's grub away! "

But, did she fukk! She glanced at them. Gave them a cursory sniff and slipped under the fence, heading on down to Fox foxes place! :icon_eek: You sort that out!

My only possible conclusion is that this was a Nanny Fox. She thought to herself; " Ah. That's Fox foxes dinner. I mustn't touch that. " Probably went and told Fox fox her dinner was waiting. Because the chicks were gone the next I looked.

Ikea batteries arrived today. As recommended by our master Fox Trail Cammer. Charged them up in my brutally expensive charger. Cam's out tonight. See what the morning brings :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sid g said:

fooked if i can find it or even know where i read it but i did read an article about 2 vixens feeding/rearing 9 cubs . 

Think I've read that, maybe Phil Drabble, a fair while back?

Cheers, D.

2 minutes ago, sid g said:

yes mate flicked through a few  books cant find owt  i was starting to wonder if it was maybe in the shooting times ..

Used to get ST back in the 70s when it was the only publication that had the slightest bit of terrier stuff in it but wouldn't have thought it was in there but who knows?

Cheers, D.

1st rule of trailcaming  ~ never eat the mushrooms that grow where you put the chicks out! lol. Seriously though when i put food near an earth for cubs  the cubs absolutely love it_ but the vixens...well they kinda know something just isn't right and often move the cubs that night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Noooo! Fox fox was there, tonight. I'm not going anywhere near her earth. With or without food. I know she's somewhere in this copse, because she always takes her chicks there.

Interesting though, how she pops out of one end, to wait for me. Then takes her spoils in at the other end. So, I figure she's denned somewhere in between. None of my business. I'll not go thrashing around in there looking for her.

Interestingly; Tonight she actually Ate a chick! First time I've ever seen her do that. She normally just crams them into her mouth and makes off with them.

I just have to say; Having this absolutely, genuinely wild creature, coming out and waiting for me, in plain view. Then even running up and staring into my eyes from eight foot away? It's fukking amazing!!! :boogy:

And apologies for losing track of your handle. You are, of course " our master Fox Trail Cammer " :good:

4 minutes ago, sid g said:

i had a small article  published  in  the st in 1982 under the name terrierwise 

Yeah it was shit!  ??? Remember the name mate but can't remember the article tbh.

Think it was about £1 then?

Cheers, D.

• Haha 2

One of the shoots i do the terrier work for i cleared out a litter a few years back for a keeper and he shot a barren vixen carrying a rabbit back to that earth the same night,it still had the rabbit in it's mouth when he showed it me in the morning but deffo wasn't the mother of the cubs..

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Noooo! Fox fox was there, tonight. I'm not going anywhere near her earth. With or without food. I know she's somewhere in this copse, because she always takes her chicks there.

Interesting though, how she pops out of one end, to wait for me. Then takes her spoils in at the other end. So, I figure she's denned somewhere in between. None of my business. I'll not go thrashing around in there looking for her.

Interestingly; Tonight she actually Ate a chick! First time I've ever seen her do that. She normally just crams them into her mouth and makes off with them.

I just have to say; Having this absolutely, genuinely wild creature, coming out and waiting for me, in plain view. Then even running up and staring into my eyes from eight foot away? It's fukking amazing!!! :boogy:

And apologies for losing track of your handle. You are, of course " our master Fox Trail Cammer " :good:

Not a mouthful of your chicks KD? lol

IMAG0878.JPG

• Like 6

They often let a vixen from the group stay near by, me and a mate shoot over a big free range pig farm where the dog fox’s never stays to help out, strange cos it’s the only place I go like that!

think the mum will start eating the chicks herself soon if not already as the Cubs are all well on over my way and a healthy size... she’ll be training them on grub hunting and not giving them free meals

• Like 1

Loads of urban tame foxes I have seen them sunbathing on a green surrounded by houses loads feed them but they build big numbers then the seem to disappear ? A lot smaller than than country fox aswell ?? 

6 hours ago, fireman said:

One of the shoots i do the terrier work for i cleared out a litter a few years back for a keeper and he shot a barren vixen carrying a rabbit back to that earth the same night,it still had the rabbit in it's mouth when he showed it me in the morning but deffo wasn't the mother of the cubs..

There we are then! I read it in that 'Fox Watching' book I got. Bloke had been at it long enough to write a small book about his observations, we can take it he's seen a few examples of behaviour to talk about)

Now, we have it straight from the horses. Effectively, both 'sides' confirming it. So, what I suspect I saw makes sense. Cool :)

• Like 1

I'd fukkin Love to look out there, one of these days, and see little brown cubs! That would just about do it for me! ? Cute as fukk little things!

Incidentally, @ands I've just brought the camera in. Having set it out, last night, with eight freshly charged Ikea batteries. Got the usual clip of me, putting the food down. Then me waving my hand at it, trying to get it to respond.

Then, an hour later, a burst of an empty track. That's it. Just like before, when I was blaming the batteries.

Camera's fukked then. Up against the wall.

Could you suggest a replacement, please? I'll have what ever you're having. You get results.

Just gutted I've blown this months entire budget on fukking fencing, again! £300.00 trying to stop these small dogs vanishing the moment my back's turned.

I can't even fathom how / where they're doing it. Twice now. There's probably some farmer's already seen them and has put the gun in the van.

I just bought the little acorn (6210) from Pakatak KD. Their real tough things and take 12 batteries so you could leave it set for 6 months easy. If your always setting it near your house the mini acorn (4 batteries)takes better pics and film (dont buy the white light one!!!) read up on the two- the mini acorn needs a seperate screen that you plug into it to adjust settings and see the pics etc.

IMAG0362.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MA it shall be then. Thanks.

Shame about the price! :icon_eek: Bigger fukking shame that I've just spent the guts of (Yet another!) £300.00 on (Yet more!) fukking fencing gear. That's somewhat blown my budget for this month!

By the way; These Ikea batteries? Would I be about right in thinking they'll take a few charges, to get themselves up to pace?

Only, I 'fully charged' them, the day they arrived. They were in the cam, last night. Took 90 seconds of film. When I tested them, just now, they came in at a rather mediocre 'Normal', as opposed to 'Strong'. And are now back in the charger, sucking juice.

3 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

MA it shall be then. Thanks.

Shame about the price! :icon_eek: Bigger fukking shame that I've just spent the guts of (Yet another!) £300.00 on (Yet more!) fukking fencing gear. That's somewhat blown my budget for this month!

By the way; These Ikea batteries? Would I be about right in thinking they'll take a few charges, to get themselves up to pace?

Only, I 'fully charged' them, the day they arrived. They were in the cam, last night. Took 90 seconds of film. When I tested them, just now, they came in at a rather mediocre 'Normal', as opposed to 'Strong'. And are now back in the charger, sucking juice.

best off letting them fully discharge and then giving them a full charge mate. batteries have a set recharge value and your wasting that part charging and they never reach full capacity that way either

• Thanks 1