Slugs again................

A bit late with this guys but here we go. 

Firstly thanks again to Pav for sending me some samples of the new H&N slug range in .25 to evaluate in my Mk 1 Impact fac.  With so much rain, snow and high winds to contend with  over here in North Lincs, serious tests have been delayed somewhat.  Today was a good day with only a light breeze so testing the slugs was at last going ahead. 

I checked zero using my normal AA Fields 25.4gr pellets and this was the yardstick to compare group size. Now before I tested the slugs I phoned John Rothery, the importer of H&N along with many other items of shooting kit to establish why on the packaging it states 'NOT SUITABLE IN SMOOTHTWIST BARRELS'.  My Impact is a standard smoothtwist barrel and whilst I understood from Pav they are working in various guns, I wanted to know why print that notice on the packing.  A very nice woman there went away to check on some of the finer details and phoned me back with the outcome of the enquiry,  they will do no damage to the barrel but may well go in any direction on leaving the barrel.....................they did just that. 

I tested 28gr, 30gr, 34gr and 36gr, all of which produced very poor groups. My test was at 50mt as a starter point but with groups of between 61mm and 79mm it was clear that these slugs simply will not perform in a smoothtwist barrel.  I must say however whilst messing around I put a 34gr slug into a scaffolding plank at 110mts.........................impressive to say the least.

Of course it now means in order to shoot feckin slugs and enjoy some of the benefits of their performance I have to buy a new barrel and possibly a plenum and I see that the price of a replacement barrel is nearly £500 WTF.

Phil

It depends if it’s worth it for you Phil, or if pellets are good enough for your application? If you decide to go ahead with updating your impact I think it might be worth talking to livens as they do a lot with fx guns. I’m sure a discussion with them would help you decide if the cost is worth it, or maybe it would be better to trade in for a new mk2?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dervburner said:

It depends if it’s worth it for you Phil, or if pellets are good enough for your application? If you decide to go ahead with updating your impact I think it might be worth talking to livens as they do a lot with fx guns. I’m sure a discussion with them would help you decide if the cost is worth it, or maybe it would be better to trade in for a new mk2?

I will have a chat with them as I don't need anything other than the barrel / liner assuming I stay with .25 calibre so I don't think the barrel itself needs to be fac rated so a sub 12 will do the job.

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

I will have a chat with them as I don't need anything other than the barrel / liner assuming I stay with .25 calibre so I don't think the barrel itself needs to be fac rated so a sub 12 will do the job.

Phil

If you do go down that route , go for 700 mm barrel and heavy slug liner 

tried the new mk11 JSB KO  33.45 gr slugs , really, really good at 100 yards 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, villaman said:

If you do go down that route , go for 700 mm barrel and heavy slug liner 

tried the new mk11 JSB KO  33.45 gr slugs , really, really good at 100 yards 

Is that the Superior liner.  I was looking at the new Maverick today, only a rwo minute scan but I don't know what the difference is between that and the Impact, very similar.