On The Bench....Vulcan Mk1

The piston is moving smoothly in the cylinder now, I’m going to try this spring and guide set up and see how it goes. Unfortunately there’s no space for a synthetic piston sleeve as the spring is too snug in the piston. It rotates freely when it’s not under compression with just a bit or room for compressed expansion. I’ve cleaned the inside of the cylinder and the piston, spring and guides, washers etc just need lubing and they can go in.

DFEF89C5-14C9-4D3D-AC36-6E6191AFAC2D.jpeg

B20B4F41-3719-4F5D-98B5-B47D41428806.jpeg

• Like 3

Got the spring and piston etc lubed and back in and the barrel on. Next, just the trigger assembly. I’m thinking I might see if a cz rimfire spring will replace this original Webley trigger spring. If they fit, I think I’ve got a lighter spring that could be worth a try? The trigger and sear are well worn into each other, so I don’t think any amount of further polishing would be beneficial really.

A19495B7-1F9E-4EF1-8779-06202738485D.jpeg

F6AD0982-E2D1-4E81-A8C7-9A5D69E8A01A.jpeg

67693B11-CB1A-44F6-9307-4734A8C6AAE5.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, it works. Feels much smoother to shoot that before, but it still has its familiar quick shot cycle. I’ve found an old box of marksman pellets, so I’m going to plink them away to let it settle down. After that I’ll do some chrono and accuracy testing.

62D6153E-F0F1-4E90-87E1-00480B434CB6.jpeg

D2BEEB0E-EE73-42FB-A3AF-BE47A8586E88.jpeg

• Like 2

I went out to check a trap line this morning, so I grabbed the Vulcan and a box of marksman pellets for a bit of plinking and running in. I probably plinked about fifty odd pellets at a tin can, found it to be shooting to the left. No scope on at the moment, so a few clicks later I was on the tin can. Nothing very technical here, but I decided to have a bit of group testing. Marksman pellets for testing accuracy? Well, with the open sights, I wasn’t going to be stretching the range much, in fact the first group was shooting at a mark on a tree at ten paces no less? I hadn’t taken any proper targets as such. Anyway, managed five in a fingernail sized group. I tried another three shots at a knot in a piece of pallet wood, this time at fifteen paces. All free standing, not rested. I also had a bit of a plink at a few empty shotgun cartridges with a good hit rate, so all in all I’m fairly pleased to say it was with open sights and cheapo pellets??

27420EBF-5DFE-49A1-9F3B-7B97D62C4CA6.jpeg

2126207B-3E51-46A8-A141-B4B6BB858460.jpeg

• Like 4