Looking for ancestry /history of my saluki /greyhound

On 13/04/2021 at 17:42, fenman1# said:

I remember seen Khan on countryman weekly for stud. Did he produce anything good on the field not a smart question so don't take it the wrong way just curious. 

Atb fen

Know if a couple breeding by him and not 1 would stop a rabbit in a ginnel never mind a hare all shite people breeding for names In the line that were junk to start with 

• Like 3

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Help Required as to ancestry /history of my saluki /Greyhound.  I have just lost my dog of a lifetime to cancer, she was 11/12 yrs old.I am truly heartbroken.  I'm not a hunter,but have alwa

Know if a couple breeding by him and not 1 would stop a rabbit in a ginnel never mind a hare all shite people breeding for names In the line that were junk to start with 

I owned a kc reg pure out of him and 2 saluki x whippets that he was the sire too and that sound's about right about all 3 ??    

Posted Images

On 13/04/2021 at 16:54, Forest Queen said:

Help Required as to ancestry /history of my saluki /Greyhound. 

I have just lost my dog of a lifetime to cancer, she was 11/12 yrs old.I am truly heartbroken. 

I'm not a hunter,but have always loved sight hounds in particular salukis.

My dog Fern was a very distinguishable sighthound ,her colouring alone a mutated dilute. Was quite a show stopper. I'd have people literally stopping cars to ask what she was as she held herself well and looked awesome. 

She was Steel and tan with a white butterfly on chest. White tips on feet. 

Fur like velvet and shone.

A glamourous looking dog.

She passed through I believe 5 lurcher men before coming to me age around 4 yrs. 

I had her 8 yrs. 

I have  sketchy details of her young life and know she was initially used as a racing dog and then a lampers dog. Until she hurt her spine and broke a toe.  

Fern was born around 2009,lived in North East England (Northumberland).

I believe she had two litters of puppies (do you have one?)

Lived Winlaton, Mickley,Prudhoe , Ryton, Greenside, Horsley.

I believe her father (sire) may of being khan jihad. 

I believe her mother (dam) was a steel greyhound and was a Irish coursing champion.  

Does anyone know who that might be?

Who bred Fern?

Does her heritage fit time scale wise?

I would dearly love to know as I said, totally in bits at her loss. 

I just want to try and recreate her or seek out someone who might be able too from same lineage. 

Whilst I'm not a hunter, I turned Fern from huntress to helper in that I used her skills and abilities to bring deer out to me to photograph, as I'm a professional photographer. We were quite a team. 

I just loved everything about that girl.

Thanks for any help received.

Screenshot_20210323-213933_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-213825_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-213737_Facebook.jpg

I wouldn't try recreate or replace it'll only ever lead to disappointment. You can never get what you had in a dog. I wouldn't entertain 99% of breeding out there most are silly priced and the breeding is mostly hear say unless you fall lucky and get someone who has genuinely line bred their own stamp. I'd try lurcher link if your not against rehoming one. A woman local to me used to foster for them and had some very smart dogs come through their kennels. I got my old birch back through them after 2 years "missing" 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Kalibrgun said:

I think Khan jihad had plenty good breeding in him mate ?? He great gran sire to a bitch I have 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mC HULL said:

I think Khan jihad had plenty good breeding in him mate ?? He great gran sire to a bitch I have 

The blood from him will be well diluted lol that's why it might be half decent. The ones I saw would need land as big as Texas a hare with 2 1/2 legs and about a week to put a strike in but the were directly of him 

• Haha 3
16 hours ago, Kalibrgun said:

I owned a kc reg pure out of him and 2 saluki x whippets that he was the sire too and that sound's about right about all 3 ??

Edited by Trev70
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Kalibrgun said:

The blood from him will be well diluted lol that's why it might be half decent. The ones I saw would need land as big as Texas a hare with 2 1/2 legs and about a week to put a strike in but the were directly of him 

? Khan was well bred mate off good dogs 

half descent ? ?? She looks acts runs like a  pure 24” feathered  red about 18 kg ?she be 2 September ready to run if you know any fancy it mate ? small land or fen ??   you’d see a feathered plodder using gears and striking with rolls ? ??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Trev70 said:

He’s just the sire mate how was dam to pure bred can’t just be buying pup on strength of male dog ?? 

putting a Sal to a whippet Is going to slow the pups up mate ? ??  

On 13/04/2021 at 18:08, W. Katchum said:

You’ll get all info you need in here I’m sure, few lads on here will know if the breeding at least, but that Khan dog was out over loads a bitches I’m sure as my cousin had a first cross out him an a grey, was a black pup tho an wrong time frame. If your after another I’m sure there’s a lad up north east off this site that still owns a few pures an let’s them stand at stud so he prob your best bet of sourcing a pup as I don’t think he breeds himself but stays in touch with all who use his dogs ?

Aye your G had a half x out of Khan. Bloody whining horrible cnut, was nearly as bad as Chase or this cock led here ?

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

half descent ? ?? She looks acts runs like a  pure 24” feathered  red about 18 kg ?she be 2 September ready to run if you know any fancy it mate ? small land or fen ??   you’d see a feathered plodder using gears and striking with rolls ? ??

But Was Khan a decent dog though?  as you know I’m no courseing man but you can have two of the best an still produce dirt but wouldn’t breed from a dog that couldn’t just because of names in breeding of being well bred well that’s how it works with Lurcher to lurchers breeding 

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

Ill have a spin out this coming season the pup will be 12 month in Sept ideal for the stubbles. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

He’s just the sire mate how was dam to pure bred can’t just be buying pup on strength of male dog ?? 

putting a Sal to a whippet Is going to slow the pups up mate ? ??  

Can't remember the lines of the dam tbh the dog wasn't with me for long ? but I'm sure it will of been cruise lines back then. You've not seen many non ped whippets run then ?

Don’t think he was a great runner mate but he has good blood in him so no surprise his offspring have produced good runners ?? 
look at buddy not great runner but as a stud dog produced the goods plenty of depth in breeding it will crop back up ??