Looking for ancestry /history of my saluki /greyhound

Help Required as to ancestry /history of my saluki /Greyhound. 

I have just lost my dog of a lifetime to cancer, she was 11/12 yrs old.I am truly heartbroken. 

I'm not a hunter,but have always loved sight hounds in particular salukis.

My dog Fern was a very distinguishable sighthound ,her colouring alone a mutated dilute. Was quite a show stopper. I'd have people literally stopping cars to ask what she was as she held herself well and looked awesome. 

She was Steel and tan with a white butterfly on chest. White tips on feet. 

Fur like velvet and shone.

A glamourous looking dog.

She passed through I believe 5 lurcher men before coming to me age around 4 yrs. 

I had her 8 yrs. 

I have  sketchy details of her young life and know she was initially used as a racing dog and then a lampers dog. Until she hurt her spine and broke a toe.  

Fern was born around 2009,lived in North East England (Northumberland).

I believe she had two litters of puppies (do you have one?)

Lived Winlaton, Mickley,Prudhoe , Ryton, Greenside, Horsley.

I believe her father (sire) may of being khan jihad. 

I believe her mother (dam) was a steel greyhound and was a Irish coursing champion.  

Does anyone know who that might be?

Who bred Fern?

Does her heritage fit time scale wise?

I would dearly love to know as I said, totally in bits at her loss. 

I just want to try and recreate her or seek out someone who might be able too from same lineage. 

Whilst I'm not a hunter, I turned Fern from huntress to helper in that I used her skills and abilities to bring deer out to me to photograph, as I'm a professional photographer. We were quite a team. 

I just loved everything about that girl.

Thanks for any help received.

Screenshot_20210323-213933_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-213825_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-213737_Facebook.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Help Required as to ancestry /history of my saluki /Greyhound.  I have just lost my dog of a lifetime to cancer, she was 11/12 yrs old.I am truly heartbroken.  I'm not a hunter,but have alwa

Know if a couple breeding by him and not 1 would stop a rabbit in a ginnel never mind a hare all shite people breeding for names In the line that were junk to start with 

I owned a kc reg pure out of him and 2 saluki x whippets that he was the sire too and that sound's about right about all 3 ??    

Posted Images

problem is  re breeding  , unlss you know the breeder  and saw the sire and dam personally  you are going to really struggle , ,it might well be that khan is in thee somewere ,but my guess  and only a guess  is khan did go to alot of bitches  most probebly bieng salx,s  not full greys  , but i might be wrong  , its guessing game ,and as i said  its not uncommon for breeders to tell a few porkies re breeding ,

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Think the lad who owned Khan an was in here at one point had access to a few greyhound bitches an bred a few first crosses off him, reared them in a big compound where they had run of place with the dam ?

yes mate i do remember that  ,but as we said khan covered alot of bitches  in his time  so it would be a lottery to know were that bitch came from 

1 minute ago, riohog said:

yes mate i do remember that  ,but as we said khan covered alot of bitches  in his time  so it would be a lottery to know were that bitch came from  that chap bought khan when he was an old dog if i remember right

2 hours ago, Forest Queen said:

Help Required as to ancestry /history of my saluki /Greyhound. 

I have just lost my dog of a lifetime to cancer, she was 11/12 yrs old.I am truly heartbroken. 

I'm not a hunter,but have always loved sight hounds in particular salukis.

My dog Fern was a very distinguishable sighthound ,her colouring alone a mutated dilute. Was quite a show stopper. I'd have people literally stopping cars to ask what she was as she held herself well and looked awesome. 

She was Steel and tan with a white butterfly on chest. White tips on feet. 

Fur like velvet and shone.

A glamourous looking dog.

She passed through I believe 5 lurcher men before coming to me age around 4 yrs. 

I had her 8 yrs. 

I have  sketchy details of her young life and know she was initially used as a racing dog and then a lampers dog. Until she hurt her spine and broke a toe.  

Fern was born around 2009,lived in North East England (Northumberland).

I believe she had two litters of puppies (do you have one?)

Lived Winlaton, Mickley,Prudhoe , Ryton, Greenside, Horsley.

I believe her father (sire) may of being khan jihad. 

I believe her mother (dam) was a steel greyhound and was a Irish coursing champion.  

Does anyone know who that might be?

Who bred Fern?

Does her heritage fit time scale wise?

I would dearly love to know as I said, totally in bits at her loss. 

I just want to try and recreate her or seek out someone who might be able too from same lineage. 

Whilst I'm not a hunter, I turned Fern from huntress to helper in that I used her skills and abilities to bring deer out to me to photograph, as I'm a professional photographer. We were quite a team. 

I just loved everything about that girl.

Thanks for any help received.

Screenshot_20210323-213933_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-213825_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210323-213737_Facebook.jpg

Lovely looking hound that. ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, riohog said:

problem is  re breeding  , unlss you know the breeder  and saw the sire and dam personally  you are going to really struggle , ,it might well be that khan is in thee somewere ,but my guess  and only a guess  is khan did go to alot of bitches  most probebly bieng salx,s  not full greys  , but i might be wrong  , its guessing game ,and as i said  its not uncommon for breeders to tell a few porkies re breeding ,

Saw a couple of pups out Khan x greyhound run few years back ?

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Think the lad who owned Khan an was in here at one point had access to a few greyhound bitches an bred a few first crosses off him, reared them in a big compound where they had run of place with the dam ?

Near nuneaton katchum ??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

I'd say a Saluki lurcher, not a first cross. You'll get something similar just watching the dogs for sale, might not be blue mind. She landed on her feet after such a shitty start

?? I’d say saluki lurcher or salxgrey x Khan you wouldnt get that colouring off first cross the bluish like that have shite skin hair a lot a the time ?? 

Edited by mC HULL

Its a shame she had a bad start but you done her well bud ,anyone can see she was in fine fettle and looks like she had a good life and you done each other proud ,

If your looking for another sal x grey I'm sure you soon find a pup but why not get a sal x from rescue center as lots of young lurchers looking for good homes.

Atvb 

Mooch

• Like 2