The river pollution scandal bbc 1

I haven't watched it but I can assure you that the rivers around me are a million times cleaner now than when I was kid, we even have salmon running the trent again.  

I'll have a look out for it though thanks for the heads up  ?

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Anyone watching? Absolutely shocking no wonder fish numbers are not what they once was! 

Same old same old mate, lying b*****ds with no regards for anything apart from profit, it’s in every walk of life from the very top down, only thing I find surprising is how many people still believe the shit they are fed,???

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, kanny said:

I haven't watched it but I can assure you that the rivers around me are a million times cleaner now than when I was kid, we even have salmon running the trent again.  

I'll have a look out for it though thanks for the heads up  ?

Clearer doesn't always mean cleaner, been fishing the trent for years, lots of raw sewage going in now, especially in high water.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, SONOFSOIL said:

Clearer doesn't always mean cleaner, been fishing the trent for years, lots of raw sewage going in now, especially in high water.

Same for the Wye..it's had a massive effectlast few yrs,rivers not been right tbh..our club has approached natural resources Wales about our concerns...not even had the decency to reply..same response when we voiced our concerns about reintroducing certain predators...?

• Like 1

Our local river used to be a terrific sewin and salmon river say about 30-35 years back. First sign of a bit of colour and the the anglers were out in force. Loads of whoops and cheers along the bank as people pulled fish in. Now it is virtually dead by comparison.  

14 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Same for the Wye..it's had a massive effectlast few yrs,rivers not been right tbh..our club has approached natural resources Wales about our concerns...not even had the decency to reply..same response when we voiced our concerns about reintroducing certain predators...?

Noticed a change for about 5 years now tbh, pike fishing very poor, not the numbers, could be otters.

1 hour ago, SONOFSOIL said:

What made a big difference this  non tidal end of the trent  was the  closure of  many of the power stations meaning less warm water was being put back in  which  in turn  had a big effect  on the fish stocks especially the chub were hit hard however other species such as barbel and carp seemed to thrive, but all that aside I still say the trent is a far cleaner river than it was 40 years ago ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kanny said:

What made a big difference this  non tidal end of the trent  was the  closure of  many of the power stations meaning less warm water was being put back in  which  in turn  had a big effect  on the fish stocks especially the chub were hit hard however other species such as barbel and carp seemed to thrive, but all that aside I still say the trent is a far cleaner river than it was 40 years ago ?

Yes remember it well, keepnets covered in slime, more folk now so more shit to deal with.

27 minutes ago, SONOFSOIL said:

Noticed a change for about 5 years now tbh, pike fishing very poor, not the numbers, could be otters.

The Wye has turned very  'peaty' in colour, struggle to see the bottom even in the margins, when it's low in the summer it's almost stagnant,no oxygen..fish really struggle to get back going again...my money's on bad farming practice/poor drainage allowing animal waste, especially shit from chicken farms to leach into the river...it's f***ing up the gravel beds were fish lay their eggs.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

The Wye has turned very  'peaty' in colour, struggle to see the bottom even in the margins, when it's low in the summer it's almost stagnant,no oxygen..fish really struggle to get back going again...my money's on bad farming practice/poor drainage allowing animal waste, especially shit from chicken farms to leach into the river...it's f***ing up the gravel beds were fish lay their eggs.

Shocking mate, way to many chemicals going in, future not good if water companies dont get there act together.

Even way back in the eighties the shit tankers sucking it out of septic tanks took it to the shkt works and it was often dumped straight into the river.  So many parts per million but along that river there must be about twenty sewage works that put water into the river. Perhaps not directly but indirectly into streams that eventually end up in the river.  I've seen small outboard churning up green sludge and in the summer the bloody fools jumping off of the bridges into the river.  I wonder how many got eye, ear infections or were on the pan next day. !!!

Edited by Meece

I would say that there is far less crap dumped into the river systems now compared to say, 20 years ago, the problem with salmon and sewin numbers is not to be found in the rivers, it`s out to sea you need to look, we had a hatchery here for years releasing thousands every year, they closed it in the end as barely any tagged fish ever returned.

11 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Modern high intensity agriculture and it’s associated practices won’t be helping that’s for sure mate.

Mono culture grass and crops sustained with chemical fertiliser, weed killers etc means the soil won’t hold the same amount of water and run off is worse.

The price of cheap food and a system where farmers can’t make money any other way.

• Like 2