Unusual breeds

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go. These ones are a little bit more recent...

Wait till collie jon sees your a dead man ???

irish knackers s  

Posted Images

9 hours ago, fielder said:

What is it like temperament wise? What's it like to live with? I'd love to see pictures of it. 

Super laid back at home and switched on outdoors. Probably similar to a lot of other sighthound crosses.
Anything you are interested in particular?

You can find a picture of her here. She was roughly 6 months old in the picture.
I can see if i can upload a recent one!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

Super laid back at home and switched on outdoors. Probably similar to a lot of other sighthound crosses.
Anything you are interested in particular?

You can find a picture of her here. She was roughly 6 months old in the picture.
I can see if i can upload a recent one!

Just had a look at that pic on the other thread.  Looks a very nice workmanlike type.  Be good to see pics of her now, as an adult. ?

4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Nice animal mate, looks a very capable small game dog.

Thanks and yes, game she is! ?

8 hours ago, shaaark said:

VERY nice, and superb country/scenery. ?

Thanks, I do not live there...unfortunately. I was only visiting.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, fielder said:

She's a real beauty! Looks very alert and keen too. Interesting that she has an off button. For me that is very important otherwise a dog is a nuisance in the home. 

Thanks! Regarding the off-switch, is that not true for most sighthounds and sighthound crosses? At least that was my impression in the past.

You are definitely right that a hyperactive dog at home is a real nuisance. ?

Temperament wise they are quite laid back, but they can be a bit fuzzy around strangers (dogs or humans, which has to be taken care of through the owner by proper early socialization). They can make excellent guard dogs.

Actually I would say they are nothing exceptional in any sense. Despite what people like to tell you, they are a rather young breed. They were basically recreated after WWII.

On the plus side they do not have a lot of heredity problems, a big negative is that they are not bred for any working ability. (Which in my case almost always leads to a decline in the quality of a breed)

My bitch is from an accidental mating and she turned out fine, but I can not really use her for hunting (legally!) since I am based in germany. For every other legal activity like biking, disc dog, hiking she is the perfect dog. To keep her in top shape I even started bikejoring, which she picked up fine and seems to have a lot of fun doing. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

Temperament wise they are quite laid back, but they can be a bit fuzzy around strangers (dogs or humans, which has to be taken care of through the owner by proper early socialization). They can make excellent guard dogs.

Actually I would say they are nothing exceptional in any sense. Despite what people like to tell you, they are a rather young breed. They were basically recreated after WWII.

On the plus side they do not have a lot of heredity problems, a big negative is that they are not bred for any working ability. (Which in my case almost always leads to a decline in the quality of a breed)

My bitch is from an accidental mating and she turned out fine, but I can not really use her for hunting (legally!) since I am based in germany. For every other legal activity like biking, disc dog, hiking she is the perfect dog. To keep her in top shape I even started bikejoring, which she picked up fine and seems to have a lot of fun doing. 

Can u not run dogs there then ?