.204 cherry popped

After spotting 4 last week but drawing a blank, I was determined last night. Left the house with my 8yr old saying "I want to see pictures of any foxes tomorrow" so I couldn't let her down! 

Upon arriving at farm/work got unloaded and made my way to first field. This field is where we turn ewes with lambs out into, so have to be pretty careful on ID with thermal. As I approach gate (knowing its a creaky one) I get XM30s out for a spot. This field leads down on far side to a small pond lined with trees & then next door drilled field. Right away I spot charlie mooching about by pond. Its not ideal position, no safe stop. I debate climbing bale stack so I shooting down but by time I check again he's legged it. Grrr no, not a repeat of last week I'm thinking. 

Getting into next field, we call it the hill field. I know of a run in far corner. I make my way half way up with back to hedge. Very mild night, not a breath of wind. I start calling & spotting. Tikka is on sticks ready as I'm scanning with thermal. No sign of anything in any surrounding fields, got a brilliant view from up here, can see every possible field. Nothing do, nothing in any field. I keep calling nothing. About to move on when I spot one in thermal, not 150yds away, how do they sneak in like that?? I get behind tikka & turn pard/SRX combo on. Find him easy enough, sniffing about. By now lrf clocks him at 187yd. Heart rate up a bit as I flick safety off tikka for first time actually on hunt. It feels good, steady as he turns side on. Gentle squeeze & whomp. I know its good but I'm surprised when he takes off! Chamber another follow him but needn't worry, drops with another 20yds. Yes!!! First one with t3x well happy. When picked him up amazed he ran after mess the 32gn has made of him. Young dog. 

Carrying on up over hill. Next field is through a gateway and beyond that is our woods. I stop in gateway and have a call. See a badger 250+yds away. Calling when all of a sudden spot one charging in right at me, calling it like a dog for its dinner! He's flying in too quick if anything! Now tracking his eyes through pard, but he still other side of fence. He reaches fence, 60yds away then I lose him!! f**k! Scanning about, finally spot him - he's through fence where I didn't expect, in same field as me not more than 40yds away! He spots me same time as I spot him. He's off, back way he came. I followed all the way, remembering enough folk on here saying how they stop to look back. Sure enough, 130yds away he stops & then drops. Clean as whistle on the spot.  Old dog, rough teeth.

Absolutely buzzing now. Just gone midnight, thinking of heading back. I haven't moved when I spot another snaking down through woods. Now this isn't more than 10 minutes after 2nd shot, wildcat must be effective! Couple of calls changes her direction & 32gn hornady boiler room right through bib. Small dry vixen.

By now my jaw is aching from the smile so I decide to call it a night.

Absolutely loving the rifle & calibre. And now I've added the SRX I've fallen back in love with my pard008lrf. 

Cheers. 

20210410_222648.jpg.a90c9284b859031b9d3d534d75a6bcd8.jpg

20210410_232911.jpg

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ianm said:

I have been waiting for this for a while now, i thought i had backed a duffer.? Nice to hear when all goes according to plan. 

Three is a good job well done!   

Ian teaching me the way of the .204 

Blog19-Header-760x380.jpg

• Like 1

Has it definately gone deep and not splashed on that 1st fox Ben? Could be why he ran. Very difficult to tell from a photo.

Personally, I'd go for heavier ammo with a .204. Although speed is king in many ways, the .204 has speed with all the choices and you'll only wear the barrel faster once you go over 4,000fps.

Personally I'd try the 40gr Vmax. It's still 3900fps witrh Hornady Super Performance and around 3700fps with normal ammo. Should hit harder and penerate deeper. Just my thoughts.

14 hours ago, Alsone said:

Has it definately gone deep and not splashed on that 1st fox Ben? Could be why he ran. Very difficult to tell from a photo.

Personally, I'd go for heavier ammo with a .204. Although speed is king in many ways, the .204 has speed with all the choices and you'll only wear the barrel faster once you go over 4,000fps.

Personally I'd try the 40gr Vmax. It's still 3900fps witrh Hornady Super Performance and around 3700fps with normal ammo. Should hit harder and penerate deeper. Just my thoughts.

Quite possibly, I didn't dig about to deep in that claret to explore. I've got bit of a selection of ammo to try out, one lot being hornady 40gr. 

• Like 1