• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pal of mine sent a deerhound up to a lad in Scotland that works an eagle to fox; Cheers.

Always found it easy gaining permission when you got the bops with you,?Had some cracking days out, a couple of Harris hawks,ferrets and some steady dogs?

I had loads of fun with her and she even ended up going toe to toe with the wife’s Lakeland’ dog,then after that she was determined to nail him because of her anuty spooking her when she was on the bo

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Any of you boys been out with the falcons? 

Yea plenty times , there not for me tho , bit boring for me I like fly hawks off the fist , thing is with falcon is you set dog off get point , let bird go let it get up to height flush game bird stoops catches quarry then you feed up , it’s more of a one catch hunt , don’t get me wrong some of the flights are good but after the 6th 7th time it lost its appeal to me , I prefer flying birds fro. The fist in the day on the lamp , car hawking etc , couple lads I no fly eagle at hare and the majority of them if they miss will just land on floor and wait to be picked up , the males put some good flights in and do twist and turn and flip over for another strike but if I was going to get a eagle it would be a female golden eagle and I’d try my best to have a young of birds that are doing what I’d want them to . Plenty of stock in England and they do get imported in from other country’s , flying female goldie with a desire to catch deer is on my list befor I kick the bucket , 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, downsouth said:

Been out and watched other lads but never flown one myself.Especially like watching the little merlins fly Larks

I used to go out regularly with a lad rook hawking on the marlbourgh downs, he used to fly it out the hood out the car was very good flights. Also I was lucky to go lark  hawking with Merlin on a air base , was epic ringing flights with the larks ringing up and then dropping. Happy days they were in my younger years 

• Like 1

A few years ago I was fancying a hobby just to play on with they were a £1000 at the time,I looked into them and they could take swift’s and little bits and pieces but what put me off is were I live we have house martins and swift’s.I thought if a little falcon like that can take them it will be some show but I like to see the swift’s and that so though against it.But I had plenty of fun with the Harris hawks so that done me.

19 minutes ago, lurchers said:

A few years ago I was fancying a hobby just to play on with they were a £1000 at the time,I looked into them and they could take swift’s and little bits and pieces but what put me off is were I live we have house martins and swift’s.I thought if a little falcon like that can take them it will be some show but I like to see the swift’s and that so though against it.But I had plenty of fun with the Harris hawks so that done me.

Last year whilst emptying the door near my house I heard the scream of a bop and saw a pair of kestrels or hobbies and one had a swift, almost certain it was kestrel. 

I had loads of fun with her and she even ended up going toe to toe with the wife’s Lakeland’ dog,then after that she was determined to nail him because of her anuty spooking her when she was on the bow perch.Then my pup used to winde them up in the garden when I 1st moved into this house 14yrs ago then realised if she stood in the middle they couldn’t reach her.The wife always loved the owls and used to do a lot of hand rearing they used to take over the house and the dogs would clean them.

374FE8AC-4A76-4E80-9E57-B7B7D79298E2.jpeg

5D988FA1-AC45-4FB0-A862-E67BE5309F70.png

31A39A53-58CC-483C-B227-32A036A3EA4B.png

2C224F7F-1671-4810-9783-E5028EFA8F79.png

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Last year whilst emptying the door near my house I heard the scream of a bop and saw a pair of kestrels or hobbies and one had a swift, almost certain it was kestrel. 

I’ve never know a kestrel quick enough to catch 1 of them mate so maybe a hobby.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lurchers said:

I’ve never know a kestrel quick enough to catch 1 of them mate so maybe a hobby.

Don't think they are around here, who knows. 

I never saw the catch so maybe it was a pair of kestrels, I've read they do sometimes eat carrion. 

5 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Don't think they are around here, who knows. 

I never saw the catch so maybe it was a pair of kestrels, I've read they do sometimes eat carrion. 

Ya probably right mate as sometimes times are hard for bops mate.It’s different to the dog game but just as enjoyable ?

11 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Grantown?

We stayed at a lodge at the side of Lochindorb not far away from Grantown though it was not organised by the chap mentioned i can't recall the name of the place it was near Athol and i remember ferreting near a caravan park near the castle.

• Like 1