Yes I know but it has come round again. Personally I had a huge result at Cheltenham for which I’m right happy. Her indoors spent the lot but the results are to everyone’s benefit. Now then. Done a little Lucky 15 at Aintree today and need Number 13 to come in and I’m in clover yet again. Question is. What are you lot doing in the Big One on Saturday? I’m thinking Cloth Cap all day long but what are your thoughts? Jok.

Last year I would have agreed with you Chart. However, life moves on and TV has not done anyone any favours. I got in with 3 mates, one of whom is an avid follower and got slightly sucked in. It certainly will not rule my life but must admit to having taken an interest in the background, breeding, history of the courses, etc, etc. As I said, Cheltenham was massive for me and interested or not there is a way to quietly ‘make a few Bob’ if you are not silly. I also agree that possibly, next to tipping point and badminton, must be the most boring thing on the screen. On an aside, knowing you have been over there, I’ve taken an interest in the Saudi and Emirates race meetings purely from a point of view of how they have developed the courses. Money means everything so I take that on board but by heck they look good. Jok.

• Like 2

Horse racing is utter horse shite, unless you have a cheeky wee bet on.., then it’s the most exciting thing in the world. That few seconds where you just stop breathing, watching your horse reel in the front runner with every stride to get up to nick it on the line must be the best feeling you can have without sticking a needle in your arm. I can totally see why people get addicted to it and lose everything they have.
Me, I stick a few quid on every now and again, but always fear that if I got too genned up, I could be one of those who blows their whole whack at the bookies. 
As for Saturday, not a 4 by 2. National’s usually a bit of a lottery isn’t it? I’ll see what her and the kids get on first, then pick one with a name that strikes a chord with me as per.

I only bet at local point to point meetings. I can’t trust myself to have gambling at my finger tips ? I know people bragging about winning big then see them a week later it’s obvious they lost the lot as they won’t say a word and just keep checking there phone 

Pesky. Again I totally agree with the concept of ‘it’s a lottery’ but having a closer look, most people view the National as a let’s pick a number from a hat and rejoice when, lo and behold, they have the winner and £20.00 from the results. I looked at at the financial gains to the owners, trainers and jockeys and realise that the reverse is true. The question still is, who are you choosing to win The National. Jok.

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, jok said:

Last year I would have agreed with you Chart. However, life moves on and TV has not done anyone any favours. I got in with 3 mates, one of whom is an avid follower and got slightly sucked in. It certainly will not rule my life but must admit to having taken an interest in the background, breeding, history of the courses, etc, etc. As I said, Cheltenham was massive for me and interested or not there is a way to quietly ‘make a few Bob’ if you are not silly. I also agree that possibly, next to tipping point and badminton, must be the most boring thing on the screen. On an aside, knowing you have been over there, I’ve taken an interest in the Saudi and Emirates race meetings purely from a point of view of how they have developed the courses. Money means everything so I take that on board but by heck they look good. Jok.

This last 5 months has seen me driving through Newmarket most weeks early in the morning and it's been really cool to see all the different stables riding the horses out down the streets,there's stables and set up's all over the town and the money spent on them must be staggering indeed but it's pretty cool i think to see it all and i'm not a race fan,follower in anyway...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, jok said:

Riding down the streets???jok.

Well not on the road as such but they got really wide pavements with horsey pavement bits and crossings across the roads with horses on the green lights instead of people, your'd do fecking well to drive right through the town between 6.30 -8.00 without having to stop to let horses across the road at some point and it's just sort of funny to be driving a small truck along a main town road with 20 odd race horses being hacked out right along side you..:laugh:..

• Haha 1

Sorry. I didn’t mean to be a no it all which believe me I’m not. What little I’ve learned is that racehorses train on gallops which means they run on grass. I can’t for the life of me see trainers taking there rides on tarmac. These are highly strung animals and I would imagine anything other than the norm would spook them.  Only my opinion. Jok

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, jok said:

Sorry. I didn’t mean to be a no it all which believe me I’m not. What little I’ve learned is that racehorses train on gallops which means they run on grass. I can’t for the life of me see trainers taking there rides on tarmac. These are highly strung animals and I would imagine anything other than the norm would spook them.  Only my opinion. Jok

There on sort of modern cobble like stone pavements and they do just ride them down the side of the road,but then again with millions and millions of pounds worth of horse you'd sort of know what your doing when walking out the stable gate.Mind you you do see many a frisky one having a little jump about but never one out of control as such and there are dozens and dozens of horses about every morning..:victory:..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
56 minutes ago, jok said:

I truly am surprised. Never would have thought it. Jok.

Google map the town and have a look at the A1304 going through it and look how many stables are along it and all there horses walk down the light brown path which is the horse pavement to the different exercise area's around the town and up onto the gallops.one end the town is stables one side of the road and a house estate the other and i myself have never seen anything like it before...

• Like 1

Fireman, you're correct.  It's not just in newmarket either.  Plenty of trainers hack their horses out to and from many of the gallops.  One of my sisters was a stable lad, to D H Jones, in south wales. Couple of my old schoolmates were jockeys as well, one used to ride for Peter Makin.  Common sight to see racehorses on roads.

• Like 3