Iive been on Colchester borough council housing list since June 2020 , i received a telephone call from them this afternoon

they have offered me housing, nothing to keep me here, and i shall be nearer my daughter , im just getting quotes now on removals

i shant be taking much, as im downsizing , ive managed 1 quote of nearly a grand , the amount of stuff i shall be taking would fit in a transit van

im 76 a new lease of life somebody is looking down on me 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iive been on Colchester borough council housing list since June 2020 , i received a telephone call from them this afternoon they have offered me housing, nothing to keep me here, and i shall be n

Its sheltered accomodation where im going im afraid to say, if someone was to say to me a while back, keith this is where your gonna end up, but you never no whats around the corner, im sound enough,

All sorted and ready for off folks, i leave staffordshire behind on the 26th of this month

17 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

Iive been on Colchester borough council housing list since June 2020 , i received a telephone call from them this afternoon

they have offered me housing, nothing to keep me here, and i shall be nearer my daughter , im just getting quotes now on removals

i shant be taking much, as im downsizing , ive managed 1 quote of nearly a grand , the amount of stuff i shall be taking would fit in a transit van

im 76 a new lease of life somebody is looking down on me 

Great news keith,happy for you mate. 

You going straight away,how close are you to your daughter. 

That was quicker than ye thought,brilliant

No not going straight away mate , its not that simple, ive loads to do here yet, and the accomodation isnt quite ready, 

im just at the moment getting removal quotes . im in staffordshire , i thought perhaps a neighbour who has a van would help me out

but nowt doing, 

Just now, iworkwhippets said:

No not going straight away mate , its not that simple, ive loads to do here yet, and the accomodation isnt quite ready, 

im just at the moment getting removal quotes . im in staffordshire , i thought perhaps a neighbour who has a van would help me out

but nowt doing, 

i will be about half hr from my daughter 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Can you not get someone local to hire and load a transit, unload at the other end? Only cost approx £250 for van and juice, give matey £250, job done for £500.

Cheers, D.

cheers mate , im looking into that

4 minutes ago, TOMO said:

you often get  "man with a van " ads in local papers or newsagents shop windows....have a look at some of them 

Thanks Tomo . ive just had a telephone call off a member off this forum offering to help, i dont expect owt fer nowt, but i just need to get 

the best possible help, where im moving, require a months rent in advance i will keep you posted and thank you 

1 hour ago, iworkwhippets said:

just got quote, £1, 100 406 round trip 

I dont think they are being too hurtful mate, they know what motor they will need despite you saying it will fit in a van (unless you are a removal bloke of course ! Lol )

400 miles, loading & unloading, insurance, fuel ?........that’s going to be a 16 hour day for 2 blokes, that’s £400 wages right off the bat.

Personally, it’s probably somewhere between £800 and what you have been quoted imho 

7 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

I  suppose you are right Wilf , im just after the best quote thats all, but if any member off this forum was willing to help out, id rather put money in their pocket.

this forums been good to me 

No, I hear you mate ?

Don’t forget, there’s a value in just being able to sit back and let them pack, shift and move your kit properly.

All insured, you don’t have to lift a finger which is handy especially if you have health problems.

All you have to worry about is yourself and a kettle.

Man with a van is alright, but it’s normally some chancer, packing your kit like he is off to the tip, picking up 6 other jobs on the way, alone, Eastern European or some shit.

Proper people do a proper job and that is very important in something as stressful as moving......I think you’d get that for about 850 in normal times, don’t know what the COVID protocols are now but hand over your cash and sit back and relax ?

You should be able to ask a proper firm for references, previous jobs etc ?

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1